"Xperiment #1" Chrome Navigator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from akbar24601

akbar24601

I so admire the Double Wave and that sort of design that I have seen some of you post. Great job to you, I love them!!! So, trying to move in that direction, this is the end result. No, it's certainly not perfect, but I do like the way that it came out. The blank is Walnut with Veneers. CA finish.

Thanks for lookin'. Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• Xperiment1.jpg
    Xperiment1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 332
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwildes

Very cool! Is there a tutorial or pics coming soon to show your cutting/laminating steps? Way to go, I love it!

alphageek

Former Moderator
Very nice 1st try. I think you will work out a very cool version of your own once you get the knack of it... However, I think you are doing 'laminations' not 'inlays'? If thats the case you're going to have a tough time replicating the weave that works no matter what. (I've seen some of eagles in person, and I don't have a CLUE how he did it, but for the repeat pattern to work, I think it has to be inlaid).

akbar24601

Very nice 1st try. I think you will work out a very cool version of your own once you get the knack of it... However, I think you are doing 'laminations' not 'inlays'? If thats the case you're going to have a tough time replicating the weave that works no matter what. (I've seen some of eagles in person, and I don't have a CLUE how he did it, but for the repeat pattern to work, I think it has to be inlaid).
I agree. You are right, this is a lamination. I do have a way that I want to try for the inlay, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I am happy with the lam results even though I know they need fixin'.

Thank you for your input. BTW, what is your name?

alphageek

Former Moderator
Steve,

I'm Dean...(You could have found that in my profile FYI)... And for reference, my brother John (rsx1974 on here) is in the AF and will be stationed back at Patrick AFB in Feb. You might just get a chance to meet him someday at one of the florida get togethers.

As for 'needing fixing' - I think your stuff is great, just trying to help point you in good ways (and hoping you keep pointing us along too).

akbar24601

Hi Dean, I would love to meet you and your bro one day. You never know. Please understand, I was pointing the finger at myself not you or anyone else. I love all of the comments, good, bad or otherwise. That's how we learn and grow. So please, anyone, don't ever refrain from telling me what you think.

VisExp

Steve, your design is offset because the saw kerf is not matched to the insert thickness. Basically, what you remove with the blade you need to replace with no more or no less of the insert.

I'm guessing your blade is about 0.025" and the thickness of three pieces of veneer is around 0.060". That difference is causing your design to be offset. The more cuts that you make the bigger the offset will be as in effect the blank is "growing" by 0.035" with each cut and lamination.

CaptG

Steve, another dandy. Keep up the good work. Every couple years or so I get to Pine Island for a week or so. Not in the cards for this year, maybe next. When I do, I would like to look you up.

akbar24601

Steve, another dandy. Keep up the good work. Every couple years or so I get to Pine Island for a week or so. Not in the cards for this year, maybe next. When I do, I would like to look you up.

By all means Gary. That would be great. Just let me know when you are down this way and we'll hook up. Thanx for the compliments too.

Top Bottom