Xpen's new clothes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
This is one of those $12 FP's and if it wasn't for the nice blank, it would still be a $12 pen IMHO. The wood is a really nice piece of Stabilised Mossy Oak Burl that I got from Alex. I wish I had saved the blank for a better pen.
Pity about the snap cap too:frown:

I'm working on one with threads added, but if I was honest, then I really don't think these will compare to a Jr or Baron even with the 18k nib.
I used most of the parts but the original clip just wouldn't fit. ( the old cap was narrower at the end) All in all, it was too much work for the result.

Cheers:biggrin:

Attachments

• MossyOakBurl1.jpg
    MossyOakBurl1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 292
  • MossyOakBurl.jpg
    MossyOakBurl.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 328
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chriselle

Looks good Steven. Well, I knew you could make something out them. For me, nah, way too many calories burned already just thinking about it. The two I bought are in "the pen cup" along with all the other cheap riff-raff.

rsmith

I can't say I hate the snap cap, at least in concept. When executed well it adds a bit of uniqueness. That said, I'm sure the parts that came with this pen were, well mediocre at best...the whole section looks fairly brittle, and I love the 18K"gp":rolleyes: nib, but at least you took that "12.00" pen and did something with it. Parts aside, the CRAFTSMANSHIP is top notch, the shape and the wood is beautiful and the finish looks great. Nice job

DurocShark

Skip, it is a heck of an improvement!

rsmith, the reason the snap cap sucks is the sudden pressure changes on the nib can (and at least on mine, do) cause ink splatter, flow problems, etc.

rsmith

rsmith, the reason the snap cap sucks is the sudden pressure changes on the nib can (and at least on mine, do) cause ink splatter, flow problems, etc.

Gotcha, didn't think about that on a fountain pen...makes sense :)

Top Bottom