Xcut Desert Ironwood (Texas Ebony?)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

On Titanium Olympia. Even though I have two of these blanks left (I milled them from a small piece of Dario's Ironwood), I'm not sure I'll be doing another one... at least any time soon. It tooks me three evenings just to get it turned! Man this stuff is hard!!! On top of that, after I got it milled, drilled and glued the bottom barrel warped on me. It was extremely hard to get on the mandrel, but I didn't realize why until it was too late. The only evidence is that the nib fitting is a little proud of the wood on one side and the wood is a little proud on the other. It was PERFECT at the bushing :(... apparently the mandrel held it just straight enough.

200582123159_olympia_xcut_ironwood.jpg

I think I'll give it to LOML. She likes it and didn't notice the problem. I'm just enough of a perfectionist not to want to sell it like that. Thanks for looking! BTW, if you are considering turning any of this stuff xcut, do so at your own risk! ;) And don't say I didn't try to warn you. However, if you succeed, the result will be worth it. :D

EDIT: As has now been reidentified by Dario.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Billy,

I thought I posted a reply already but seems like it never went through.

Anyway, the color seems a lot lighter than I thought. It is very nice though and no doubt finished well. As you said it is worth the effort [:D][}:)]. I will someday try this too but will most likely not X-cut.

Very nice pen and I like the B2B shape...more like me [:D] LOL

alamocdc

Thanks, guys! Bill, if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. I have two of these blanks left and I noticed last night that one of them has bent about 1/4" from when I milled it. I would also not have expected a wood as dense as Desert Ironwood would have that much movement, but with crosscutting I guess you just never know.

Dario, it is fairly dark all the way down, but if the light hits it just right you get the effect seen in the picture. Almost like that high dollar auto paint that changes color depending on the light angle. [:D] Once I'm certain that the other blanks are relatively stable, I'll probably do another one, but it won't be any time soon. [;)] BTW, this isn't B2B. I left the lower barrel larger than the bushing and turned a tennon on it to fit inside the CB. [:p]

Dario

That is why it looks different. Good improvement/mod!!! I am planning on doing something similar to Flat Top American. Not sure if it will work [:D]

Okay that color change you described (irridescence SP?) just move it up a bit in my priority list to turn LOL.

alamocdc

Thanks again, and don't worry. I'm not going to give up on it, Tinker. I just want to try some of my other blanks I haven't turned yet first. [:D] So many blanks and so little time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom