X-Cut Orange Osage and an Atlas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RHossack

RHossack

I forget about posting pics here because I get message via email.

I've been helping our local Woodcraft Store by turning pens so they can display them with the kits.

This is a piece of Osage from Louis (louisbry) that started out life to be a Reel Seat but broke in two while drilling.

9168909X-Cut_Osage_001__800x600_.JPG

CA'd it back together and wasn't sure if I liked it as a reel seat so I ended up dressing a Chrome Atlas with the timber.

Finish is 3 coats of Thick CA and MM to 12000 and then polished with Brasso and Nu Finish.

7397046ATPENS_001__800x600_.JPG

7445063ATPENS_002__800x600_.JPG

I really like the style of these pens but one of my pet peeves is that it is just a tad bit short.

I decided to play with this one and it now lengthened by about 3/8" and I like this fit in the hand better.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Fine piece of timber and the longer Atlas looks much better. Good fit and finish on the pen. I'll have to try that myself. My hands are too big for a short pen like the Atlas.
Charles

RHossack

Fine piece of timber and the longer Atlas looks much better. Good fit and finish on the pen. I'll have to try that myself. My hands are too big for a short pen like the Atlas.
Thanks for the kind words Charles.

My hands aren't too big they are short and stubby but the pen was just not comfortable holding it.

RHossack

Did you make that chuck?? Clever.
Yes I did ... I don't know who to give credit to for the original idea since I lost all my files in a computer crash but I'm up to revision three of the chuck with an ongoing change and evolution as I find new things (mostly safety) I want to incorporate into it.

The first one I made I used 5 minute epoxy and it didn't like sticking to the aluminum very well so I used JB-Kwik on version #2 which worked fine until my 5/8" Drill Chuck decided to come out of the Tailstock as I was backing the drill out of drilling a blank and things got interesting in a hurry.

I'm now using Roo Clear Glue (not sure if its better or not I just have a lot of it as I use as a color preserver) to bond the aluminum pieces and it appears to work fine.

You can see how I made it here if it interests you.

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=27461

Last edited:
Top Bottom