WW2 USS Mariposa Lignum Vitae Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

This is a rifle pen made using a piece of Lignum Vitae that was used to wrap the propeller shaft of the USS Mariposa. It was built as a cruise liner in 1931 and served in WW2 from 1941 in the Pacific ocean as a fast troop transporter.

The wood actually broke into three pieces as I was turning it so I repaired it with epoxy and wrapped it in twine to act as a clamp. I only have two full pieces of this historic wood, so every piece is precious.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 978
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 968
  • shaft-a4-09Nov07.jpg
    shaft-a4-09Nov07.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,290
  • uss_mariposa.jpg
    uss_mariposa.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 671
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I didn't know they used a wood for such a purpose, but I don't know much about that wood or ship building. Regardless, I think you did a great job in preserving a piece of history for someone to enjoy.

jmbaker79

Beautiful pen and wood there! Believe they used it in ship building beacause of its self lubricating properties, made them basically maintenance free, for those who wondered...

alamocdc

I love LV! All of mine turns a cool green, but then mine doesn't dome from the USS Mariposa! And I agree with the others. That aged stuff has a great color!

Dave (et al) - It's my understanding that lignum vitae was used for a long time as bearing material in ships - like the one in the pic... even up to and including some nuclear submarines.

avbill

The Lignum Vitae that Steve used from the USS Mariposa was harvested some time inin the late 1940's Its a much deeper color than todays havested blank of Lignum Vitae.

Steve did you use a oil to finish her?

yorkie

The Lignum Vitae that Steve used from the USS Mariposa was harvested some time inin the late 1940's Its a much deeper color than todays havested blank of Lignum Vitae.

I used MM to 12,000, two doses of BLO and heated it up so it would sink into the wood well then CA to 12 coats.

I'm asking $79, does that seem too cheap?

76winger

I used MM to 12,000, two doses of BLO and heated it up so it would sink into the wood well then CA to 12 coats.

I'm asking $79, does that seem too cheap?

For the history and the story that goes with it, yes I think that's too low of a price.

avbill

For more information on the USS Mariiposa ~ this is what I place with each pen.

Your purchase is a product made of authentic Lignum Vitae from the shaft bearing from the S.S. Mariposa. This product was taken from the bearing shaft when the ship was in dry-dock in Bethlehem shipyard, San Francisco. SS Mariposa was a luxury ocean liner launched in 1931; one of four ships in the Matson Lines "White Fleet" which included SS*Monterey, SS*Malolo and SS*Lurline.

Lignum Vitae is grown naturally in the jungles of the Amazon river

If Steven makes 2 more pens of the ignum Vitae then there will only be 30 pens made from the wood. I have 27 pieces left from the shaft.

With only 30 pens made from this historic wood Steve YES you are selling way to cheap. Although you made a rift bolt all of wood I have are statesmens ans Jr. Statemens. MY Statesmens pens @ $&(%.

yorkie

Thanks a lot, Bill. Is that $800 for the Statesman pens? I'd love to see a picture.

For more information on the USS Mariiposa ~ this is what I place with each pen.

Your purchase is a product made of authentic Lignum Vitae from the shaft bearing from the S.S. Mariposa. This product was taken from the bearing shaft when the ship was in dry-dock in Bethlehem shipyard, San Francisco. SS Mariposa was a luxury ocean liner launched in 1931; one of four ships in the Matson Lines "White Fleet" which included SS*Monterey, SS*Malolo and SS*Lurline.

Lignum Vitae is grown naturally in the jungles of the Amazon river

If Steven makes 2 more pens of the ignum Vitae then there will only be 30 pens made from the wood. I have 27 pieces left from the shaft.

With only 30 pens made from this historic wood Steve YES you are selling way to cheap. Although you made a rift bolt all of wood I have are statesmens ans Jr. Statemens. MY Statesmens pens @ $&(%.

Top Bottom