Wow, Jay That is Beautiful!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
If you haven't, check out the work of a true master. Jay Picken's pen featured in the Featured Pen on the home page is a work of art. For any new members, Jay is a truly innovative artist who, IIRC does all of his work with slimlines.

Please speak up Jay, and tell us a bit about this beauty.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Took a look at the link by Kruger and saw great art! Been on my knees asking the Lord's forgiveness for calling myself a pen turner! WOW!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
By way of a "minor" correction to William, my big bro Jay doesn't even make slimlines. He uses 7mm tubes and a Cross-style transmission and refill, then takes over. No kit clips, finials, centerbands or nibs for him. He makes his own, most often from bar and tube aluminum stock. When you get a Jay Pickens original (I have TWO!) you have a true one of a kind.

jpick22

Wow!

Well, thanks to all for such nice compliments.

I really don't know what I can say about this pen, except it's about my favorite blank.

And really, nothing very complex in its' design or making. Like Lou said, tho not a slimline exactly, I did use the slimline-kit tubes, transmission and cartridge. About all I've done for over 5-years.

The real giant step came when a couple of years ago, I bought me a mini metal lathe and mill. Never used such equipment and after making a sizable investment (and taking out a sizable loan) I immediately questioned my judgement and overall mental condition.

After it arrived (along with a couple of great books on using the Sherline)I just dug in and in a very short time, I was making centerbands and finials - finally making nibs - and that is my story. No genius or master craftsman - just some good tools and enough week-end time to put them to work.

I'm 71 and just wish I had these tools 50 years ago, when my brain, my eyes and my hands were still unchallenged.

And let me say that it doesn't require an expensive Sherline set-up to do this work. No reason why a HF metal lathe and small metal mill wouldn't work just as well, at maybe a fifth the cost. I actually think that most of the work I do for pens could be done with a drill press, small dremil-type bits for routing and careful work on a wood lathe. I know - I should try it! but right now, time available and strong legs are not my "best cards". But I promise that if and when I can, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again for your kindness.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom