WOW GEORGE!!! Lookie HERE!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rounder

Rounder

This is a banksia pod from George's last batch. These things are FANTASMICAL!!! SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOSIOUS GOOD!!!
Took me a long time to do. I took it very slow as the stories of messing up these beautiful blanks abound. I tried to use the flap disc as George suggested, but I didn't feel comfortable using it. I didn't feel I had the control that I wanted for such an awesome piece. I used a homemade carbide tool that I normally turn with. I stopped every couple of millimeters and applied super thin CA as suggested. You could actually feel the difference in the blank (by touching) when it was time to add more CA. The pod area would feel raised above the resin area and then I soaked again with CA. When I thought I had it turned down to size, I added CA again then turned it down to size again. Did that several times. Then I added 20 coats of medium CA, dry sanded both directions with 240 to 600 Abranet and 1800 to 12000 micro-mesh. Then wet sanded with 1800 to 12000 micro-mesh, a good coating of #2 Novis fine scratch remover and finished with the Rennisance wax. ME BE VERY HAPPY!!! I do think the blank was too good for the kit. I will have to find a better kit to fit the status of the blank on the next one I do.

Thank you George for the beautiful blanks. I am not a very experianced turner but I studied your directions and took my time and was GREATLY rewarded!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• P1040379.JPG
    P1040379.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 442
  • P1040380.JPG
    P1040380.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 192
  • P1040393.JPG
    P1040393.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 231
  • P1040394.JPG
    P1040394.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 172
  • P1040395.JPG
    P1040395.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 191
  • P1040398.JPG
    P1040398.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 232
  • P1040399.JPG
    P1040399.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 225
  • P1040401.JPG
    P1040401.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 174
  • P1040407.JPG
    P1040407.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 199
  • P1040378.JPG
    P1040378.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi Randy

Hahahahah mate, I only saw the pics after I read what you said, and I though that you were talking about the Banksia Hairy pods, as you described perfectly what that blank handling is about and confirmed by many that had a go at it however, when I looked at the pics, I didn't see what I was expecting, not that I was disappointed or anything, but these Dwarf Banksia pod Resifills I made recently, are fragile but not comparable to the Hairy Banksia one.

In fact, if you haven't tried the Hairy Banksia Resifills yet, you seemed to me more than ready to have a go at them, follow the same principles and a few other requirements that are specific to the Hairy Banksia pods, and you will be good, very good, indeed...!

I think you done a terrific job with those blanks, you attention to detail was most rewarding, no doubt...!

Keep up the good work...!

Cheers
George

Rounder

Thanks for all the nice comments to everyone.
George, I would be more than willing to give the hairy pods a go. Let me know when you have some available and I will order a few and see how it works out. I love the look of these things.

Hi Randy

Hahahahah mate, I only saw the pics after I read what you said, and I though that you were talking about the Banksia Hairy pods, as you described perfectly what that blank handling is about and confirmed by many that had a go at it however, when I looked at the pics, I didn't see what I was expecting, not that I was disappointed or anything, but these Dwarf Banksia pod Resifills I made recently, are fragile but not comparable to the Hairy Banksia one.

In fact, if you haven't tried the Hairy Banksia Resifills yet, you seemed to me more than ready to have a go at them, follow the same principles and a few other requirements that are specific to the Hairy Banksia pods, and you will be good, very good, indeed...!

I think you done a terrific job with those blanks, you attention to detail was most rewarding, no doubt...!

Keep up the good work...!

Cheers
George

propencity

That turned out really nice. I think kit/blank is beautifully matched. Your patience paid off. Don't know if my nose can stand the fumes from 20 CA coats. But well done.

Rounder

That turned out really nice. I think kit/blank is beautifully matched. Your patience paid off. Don't know if my nose can stand the fumes from 20 CA coats. But well done.

Actually, the multiple coatings of the super thin CA while turning was tougher to handle. Have to have really good ventilation doing these.

robutacion

Awesome work, Randy!

George, will stabilizing with Cactus Juice help to turn this blanks?

G'day mate,

Glad to hear from you...!

I believe that, stabilizing the Dwarf Banksia pods, wouldn't be a good idea, the pod itself is hard enough to turn OK, the problem is the small amount of resin that stays in those small see holes when you turn it right down, if the lathe is turning too fast and the thin CA is not used as you turn to make sure the resin bits don't pop out, stabilizing the pod will created a more slippery surface on the seed holes surface where the resin attaches to so, maintaining the raw/natural pod surface in those areas, is a much safer option.

This was decided after I noticed that, the majority of the separations I had/seen in my Resifills, have happened in blanks that were stabilised prior to casting, this is not a problem with all types of stabilized woods but a problem I experience particularly with pods of hard shell nature...!

If you are referring to the Hairy Banksia Pods Resifills, they are now all being made with the pod material stabilized prior to casting, these are not the hard shell pods but, the contrary indeed...!

I have removed the sale of any of these Hairy Banksia pod Resifills to stop the crazy ordering situation, I found myself in, it worked, no one has asked for any more and they are (or should be) aware that, any future blanks for sale will be stabilized and priced to a more realistic processing cost.

Talking about the "Devil" I have made 2 batches since, which I don't put on sale until they are 1 month (4 weeks) old in storage, this will guarantee that, blanks are not worked on before they are ready, even tough clear advice was made know to everyone that, it could turn into a big mistake so, better safer than sorry, huh...???

I'm actually working on that eBay listing this evening, they should be available in my eBay store the following day...!

I'm pretty sure, someone will click the yellow triangle and complain about me "advertising or some other Bull$#!t" off my Vendor's Forum so I wonder, how am I suppose to respond to questions about my blanks, without upsetting someone...???:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

yaroslaw

George, and how about stabilizing AFTER casting? I can see a problem when stabilize before casting and have this "crust" surface resin would be repelling from, that you mention.

Anyway, thanks for response:)

Top Bottom