Wound Copper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sprung

Sprung

I hadn't done one of these in about two years, so it was time to give it another try.

Jr. Gent II Rollerball
Copper wound around the brass tubes, soldered in place, gaps are intentional
Just a coat of Renaissance Wax on it - I want it to eventually patina with time and use.
Turned on my wood lathe using carbide tooling

This is one HEAVY pen!

View in Gallery

Before turning:

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thanks for posting this !!! . Will be interested in how it "ages".

Have thought of doing one like this myself.

Sprung

Thank you, gentlemen!

That looks like fun. Thanks for sharing.

Mark, this was the one I had with me when you were here in Minnesota - finally got to getting pics off my phone - am behind on taking pictures of what few pens I've made recently and have had several go out the door that I wish I had a chance to get pics of.

Skie_M

LOL ... I started a project last year, after seeing one of SkipRat's pens and thought to myself: "Hey .. I could make something like that!"

The results were very pretty, and I'ld post the results I got here, but that's not my pen anymore. Doug's got it, and he'll post pics soon in the Dec PITH thread. :) It did take me the better part of an entire year to finish turning that thing, but I liked it quite a bit!

We all take inspiration where we can get it ... imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... and the internet is great, because we can all sit at the knees of the master, wherever they are, and learn to our heart's content.

Sprung

Thanks, guys! This idea isn't original to me. If you've never done so, I strongly encourage everyone to check out the valuable resources and tutorials found in the Library. That's where I learned this process to make a wound copper wire pen. The first one of these that I made was actually within my first 20 pens and was sent to another member here during a PITH with a Steampunk theme.

Does this mean I have to finish the Wall St II I've been working on for the last year and a half?

Nope! Always having something uncompleted on the bench always gives you an excuse to get into the shop - and if you finish it up, you just might lose your excuse! If you do finish it up, you have to designate and set aside a replacement to take forever to finish up.

bpgoldo

Matt, you make this hobby and site something new and unexpected. Highest word of complement to you. SURPRIZE! Thank you for that.

Sprung

Matt, you make this hobby and site something new and unexpected. Highest word of complement to you. SURPRIZE! Thank you for that.

Brian, thank you for the kind words. However, I am definitely far from the first who has done this. When I first started turning pens and joined IAP, I explored the Library and came across this article and thought it would be fun to try. I've done a few of these pens, but it's not an original idea from me! There's a ton of great articles in the library and many things I want to try - and from time to time I'll look through the library again for new inspiration.

Top Bottom