Worthy Emperor?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cueman

Status
Not open for further replies.

cueman

A couple shots of my latest Emperor made with curly maple & padauk, I was not sure if this design was worthy of an Emperor kit, but I think it's growing on me.:)

tn_Emperor%20Joker%2011.jpg
tn_Emperor%20Joker%2022.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Douglas, I saw the pics when they popped up in the 'latest pic' shots.
Glad you posted as well. I think the pen is fantastic. The accuracy in the glue up is first class.
Personally, I think that the blanks would have made ANY pen look great and I would have saved the Emperor kit for a plain wood.

Kinda like putting the Mona Lisa in a gilt frame, no need as it stands up for itself.

Good work[:D]

rtjw

I saw this pen in the latest pics also. Great job on the pen. It's laminations look perfect and the fit looks perfect also. The kit adds the extra touch to make this a first class pen.

dfurlano

I like the segmentation but I do not like Emperor kits. You did a real nice job of not bleeding the woods. Ron Sardo used to burn the edges of the dark wood segments to give it a shadow effect, that would work nicely in this design.

thetalbott4

You did a real nice job of not bleeding the woods.

Good point. How do you keep the bleedover down?

Ron Sardo used to burn the edges of the dark wood segments to give it a shadow effect, that would work nicely in this design.

I also agree on the edge burning. It would make a great finishing detail on your work which is very good.

gerryr

The work is beyond reproach, first class all the way. But, I don't think it belongs on an Emperor or any of the new fancy kits, but that's only my opinion.

woodpens

The REAL question is whether or not the Emperor is worthy of being attached to your work! I think the Emperor kit without the gold accents might be less busy. Your craftsmanship is incredible. If you are interested in the Pen Makers Guild, I believe you'll have no problem being accepted with a work of art like this.

Nice Pen Great Job! [:D]

twoofakind

Good job. I do think that the design has a regal flare to it and goes well with the gold and platnum. I think that the kit might detract from the overall design of the wood, but a great looking pen none the less.
Andy

cueman

Thanks to all for the input. I think this seg. design may have been better suited for Statesman or a Gentlemen's pen. I appreciate the honest oppinions I get from everyone.
quote:
You did a real nice job of not bleeding the woods.

Good point. How do you keep the bleedover down?
Text

Whenever I do segmented pens with light and dark woods, the first thing I do after turning the blanks down to finished size is add 3 coats of thin CA to seal everything up, sanding sealer would probably work just as good, just takes longer, then I sand smooth and start the finish process.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Douglas,

I am late to this thread and see you already thought of my suggestion. I am in awe of your work, but find the emperor to be a less than perfect match. IF, and that is a very big if, I could do something like this, I would match it to a Statesman kit.

BigRob777

This has already been said, but your workmanship is really first class. I agree it's busy, but it is also way beyond my capability. I'd put it in a show case. I have never turned an emporer, but I prefer less glitz in my hardware, such as a baron.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom