Worthless Wood used

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

Remember the "Worthless wood" Algarita root Mesquite man was going to throw out? Good thing he decided to make blanks out of them, I think they turned out pretty well.

With many blanks, it's often easy to find the "Good side" of a pen when taking a photo. With this blank, there are so many good sides, it's hard to just settle on one or two angles to shoot.

Makes me want to go digging around for some algarita myself!:)

2007920141746_algarita.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

I have a blank that Curtis made, and I can't wait to get some time to turn it! It makes an AWESOME pen, as evidenced by your work !!

nice job on both sides of the work!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
George,

Looks great! This is the first one I have seen with the red resin. I have not even made one myself with that color! Excellent looking finish as well!

Texatdurango

Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />George,

Looks great! This is the first one I have seen with the red resin. I have not even made one myself with that color! Excellent looking finish as well!
I didn't encounter any voids or air pockets whatsoever and it turned a LOT nicer than I was expecting, is this polyester resin?

Believe it or not, I put a CA finish on it. As I got to 1000 grit I noticed that the wood and acrylic were starting to take on different gloss levels so decided to put a uniform shine on everything so gobbed some CA on and it got real shiny! [:)]

To see the pen up close reveals the true beauty of the blank as the root has lots of small close together lines and swirls.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Originally posted by Texatdurango
I didn't encounter any voids or air pockets whatsoever and it turned a LOT nicer than I was expecting, is this polyester resin?

George,

No, I do not use PR under any circumstances. I can not stand the smell and and willing to pay more for a better resin. I use Alumilite exclusively for everything I cast. I am glad you liked how it turns.

And yes, that Algarita has some tremendous character and looks great under a well done CA finish! It is one of my favorite woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom