The "Worthless" Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from soligen

soligen

I showed a prototype when I got my triple start tap and die. Well, now its a collection :biggrin:.

I made 5 total so far - the first 2 were "Prototype" quality, and then there are these three. Fountain Pen, Rolling Righter and Roller Ball in a postable version. Woods are Red & Brown Malle Burl cast in Alumilite. The bodies and caps have a CA finish. The section and postable finial are just polished. The clips are Stainless and the RB nib is Aluminum.

1_DSCN1239.jpg

1_DSCN1246.jpg

1_DSCN1240.jpg

1_DSCN1245.jpg

1_DSCN1241.jpg

1_DSCN1243.jpg

1_DSCN1244.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
UNBELIEVABLY BEAUTIFUL. Great lookin pens Dennis. And yet the bar raises one more notch higher.

OKLAHOMAN

Dennis, love them all but the postable version is a first and makes the line complete..,as said in Italian.............. Magnifica!

ldb2000

Dennis , they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!! Great job on the clips too !!! Great design , great materials and execution .
Time for you to make a submission pen , you are ready to join the club .

I have to say, those are 3 of the cleanest, simplest, coolest looking pens I have seen on here in around one year since I have been on here. I cant wait to get the tap and die fun set. What wire did you use for the clip?

Texatdurango

The first two look really nice, clean threads, nice transition lines, absolutely top notch! The third pen with the metal rollerball nib, well it uh,... well, let's just say two out of three ain't bad!:)

soligen

The first two look really nice, clean threads, nice transition lines, absolutely top notch! The third pen with the metal rollerball nib, well it uh,... well, let's just say two out of three ain't bad!:)

Interesting of you to say this. Not sure if this a tounge in cheek or serious comment (If serious I'd be interested in Why). My exact thoughts when I prototyped the postable version was that it compromized the aescetics (both visual and tactile) of the design. (I also tend to be my worst critic) I fiddled with the proportions until I landed here, as the best compromize I could find. (I re-turned the prototype body 3 times - it's now my carry pen)

Some people just simply want to buy postable, so its needed to make the line complete, but IMO no postable pen can aestheically compete with a non-postable.

OKLAHOMAN

To me the postable pen is the best of two worlds, for the non postable person they can use it non posted but for the postable person, you get the idea. I like the postable version, now can the nibs be switched?

robutacion

My first impression was, "what a great casting he's got there...!", I like the way you use the caps and particularly the dark colours of the acrylic, certainly something that I have tried but not that dark/opaque...!:)

Then, I started admiring the shape and finish, only to stop at the threads and think, "wow, this guy know how to cut threads in acrylic...!"

If is anything there that I didn't like very much, was the width of the stainless clip, after coming out of the cap...!, something there doesn't seem to flow right...! just my opinion, off-course...!:wink:

For those that are trying to match the bar high, of this new style/design pens, well, I reckon these take it a notch or two higher so, good luck with it...!:biggrin:

Good to see "our own", growing up...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

soligen

To me the postable pen is the best of two worlds, for the non postable person they can use it non posted but for the postable person, you get the idea. I like the postable version, now can the nibs be switched?

On any future pens the front sections could be swithed as long as they are made from the same casting. The FP and rolling righter can in principle be made interchangeable, but on these the rolling righter section wont take the FP. The FP can take a rolling righter, but the hole in the section is a little larger than the rolling righter (threads are the same)

soligen

My first impression was, "what a great casting he's got there...!", I like the way you use the caps and particularly the dark colours of the acrylic, certainly something that I have tried but not that dark/opaque...!:)

Then, I started admiring the shape and finish, only to stop at the threads and think, "wow, this guy know how to cut threads in acrylic...!"

If is anything there that I didn't like very much, was the width of the stainless clip, after coming out of the cap...!, something there doesn't seem to flow right...! just my opinion, off-course...!:wink:

For those that are trying to match the bar high, of this new style/design pens, well, I reckon these take it a notch or two higher so, good luck with it...!:biggrin:

Good to see "our own", growing up...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

The prototyes had a narrower stance to the clip. To each his own - I perfer them wider. The narrower stance looked to much like a paper clip to me.

JohnU

I really like them all! Im having a problem deciding which one I like best. Great job on the casting. The wood and resin colors are perfect. The shape and finish of the pens are top notch and front page material. Great work! Very inspiring.

wiset1

Truly amazing work. People who don't turn will see a beautiful pen, but your fellow turners can truly appreciate the time and effort that went into these. This posted one is SICK...in a good way. The idea of doing a posted pen this way blows my mind...AWESOME.

Texatdurango

Interesting of you to say this. Not sure if this a tounge in cheek or serious comment (If serious I'd be interested in Why). My exact thoughts when I prototyped the postable version was that it compromized the aescetics (both visual and tactile) of the design. (I also tend to be my worst critic) I fiddled with the proportions until I landed here, as the best compromize I could find. (I re-turned the prototype body 3 times - it's now my carry pen)

Some people just simply want to buy postable, so its needed to make the line complete, but IMO no postable pen can aestheically compete with a non-postable.

First off, one reason I hesitated to even make a comment was that giving honest opinions around here has fallen out of favor and I didn't want to come across as the only one who didn't like all the pens.

But now that you asked........ No doubt the craftsmanship looks excellent on all three pens and the postable threads and finial shape looks very pleasing on your rollerball and I love the idea of the postable cap but the instant I scrolled down to the pen, the chrome or rhodium plated nib just jumped out at me and I think it takes away from the overall design and look of the pen.

Your first pen, the rolling writer looks very nice as the slim black nib looks like it's made for the pen. I think making a nice nib for the rollerball out of black acrylic or perhaps ebonite would make the rollerball look equally impressive.

If you don't want to make a nib, several kits make a black nib that would probably work for a rollerball.

As Paul Harvey used to say......... "And now you know the rest of the story":)

soligen

If you don't want to make a nib, several kits make a black nib that would probably work for a rollerball.

As Paul Harvey used to say......... "And now you know the rest of the story":)

George,

Actually, I did make the nib. It is Aluminum, not Chrome or Rhodium plated - so I can make it any color I want. Even though you dont care for the design choice, I take it as a complement that you cant tell the difference.

Again, it comes down to personal preference, and I dont take offense. In a market driven hobby it's good to know what the varying preferences are out there. Non-positive feeback is very useful - just so long as it is not delivered in an insulting way - but to be honest, I avoid making comments on pens for the very same reason

I have tried black nose cones, and I personally only like them on black or nearly black sections (like the first pen - actually a very dark green - which is why its the only color I fitted with the rolling righter)

Not to worry, evolution 2 has been in my head for some time, and it changes both the clip and the nosecone, so stay tuned :biggrin:. I just need a couple sales so I can buy more stuff!

Last edited:
Top Bottom