Worth the effort?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MorganGrafixx

MorganGrafixx

These 2 are a pair that a customer ordered from me a while ago. I finished the Buffalo Horm first and gave it to him, then started on the Deer Antler as it gives me the most problems. I mean I can make pens with antler all day, but I have stupid high standards on my fits and finishes so I don't let anything out of my shop unless I'm happy with it. Deer antler is finicky about getting the right amount of bark/marrow at the final profile. So it takes me some time to get it the way I want it. They are both Jr. Gent IIs in Titanium Gold.

Attachments

• IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MorganGrafixx

Nice work. I'm curious about the buffalo horn. Aren't they hollow like cow horn? It sure make a pretty pen.

Not sure how it looks in its natural state, I bought a couple blanks of it from CSUSA at the last woodworker's convention here in Atlanta. The blanks were as solid and heavy as granite though.

jaeger

I have not used buffalo horn yet although I have a small piece given to me by a local knife maker. The horn pen you made looks Very Nice!
When I make antler I try to avoid turning down to the marrow. I like to use just the bark or turn it down to the size you did on the lower half of your antler pen.
I'm sure you customer will like it, especially with the nice finish you have.
Nice work!

Russianwolf

yes, buffalo horn is similar to cow horn and is mostly hollow. But the wall thickness and the area near the tip can be thick enough to make pen blanks.

It is prone to cracking though.

Nice set of pens. I'm pretty finicky about antler too, switched to using Axis since the marrow tends to be smaller in diameter.

Rick P

All of the horned critters that I have had contact with have a growth nub inside the horn that is soft and blood rich in life. Dall sheep, mountian goat, water buffalo, cape buff, muskox are the same.

wiset1

While I love the look of both of them the antler has to win hands down for me. The texture and overall look of the pen holds my eye and makes me wish I had one. Great work here!

Top Bottom