Working with Selenite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kokopelli2010

Kokopelli2010

Hi everyone! I have been experimenting ALOT with the crystal-like material called selenite! Its actually more like crystalized salt from ancient seabeds however a real tough cookie to master! I feel I am getting better all the time but I realize there's always room for improvement. Here they are...what do you think....I have already sold several but here are a few of my latest ones!

If anyone knows of other crystal-like materials that are turnable please let me know! I'd appreciate any and all comments or advice!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56734246@N00/6092397829/ Chrome Slimline Selenite

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56734246@N00/6092397971/ Chrome Slimline Selenite with Acrylester cap

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kokopelli2010

Extreme patience!

There are several "risks" involved to turning this stuff...the powder is finer than drywall dust so prepare vacuum systems accordingly...it is very brittle so you must adapt your drilling jigs to encompass the entire blank top to bottom.....take your time to turn it!

Kokopelli2010

Finish

What you are seeing is the product polished up to 12000 grit wetsanded. Beware though...do not spend too much time wetsanding as this type of crystal can degrade and wear away if wet too long.....it is essentially salt so treat accordingly! It is considered a very powerful energy crystal in the metaphysical domain so if you know of any writers that suffer from writer's block or wish to "open up" their creative writing energy channels...these would make a "truly" one of a kind gift! I will add what they look like with gold slimline kit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56734246@N00/6092758941/in/set-72157627546326272

Last edited:

Kokopelli2010

I have always wanted to work with something no one else has yet but in my opinion it opens up a whole new approach to pencrafting when it can be linked with naturally occuring items other than woods!

Haynie

While beautiful people need to realize that this is not a carry around pen. Selenite cannot take abuse. It is very brittle so you are looking at Desk Pens. Which is not a bad thing. Wear a respirator no matter how good your vacuum system is.

That is a beautiful pen. I tried to drill a small piece of selenite to see if it could be done. I was not successful. You definately have more patience than I.

Kokopelli2010

The trick I found was to make your blank at least one inch square. It is like a cross between salt and fiberoptic strands if that example gives any help. It can handle super high frequencies as the material is already meshed in tiniest cracks and splits. Using a home made clamp centering drill jig that clamps the blank from top to bottom allows for the 7mm drill bit to slowly penetrate without allowing room for the blank to vibrate and split. It took me several blocks of selenite to come to these conclusions and results. Trying to minimize blank size only ended in splits and although CA does help keep things together, you end up with slight yellowish discoloration from CA which shows through the material and yellows over time. Yes the stuff can be brittle but no worse than acrylics but the catch is you can leave this pen in the sun as crackling is already present and natural. I guess it's how one "charges" the pen with energy!

Top Bottom