Working with Segmented Blanks/Inlays

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KMCloonan

KMCloonan

Hi All. I've been away (traveling for work)...

Finally found some time to work on a pen this weekend. Olive wood, and scrap plastic. I built an adjustable jig for my bandsaw, so I can make cuts of varying angles for Celtic Knots - I started experimenting with other materials - the red in the center was an old disposable serving plate I got at Goodwill. The white stripes were a used gift card. Unfortunately, the angle of my cuts was a bit shallow, and as I sanded the turned blank, I exposed more of the gift card's surface... You can see some of the print from the card peeking through.

Good thing I didn't use a credit card :biggrin:

I had a ton of fun, and wasn't sure what it would turn out like (literally) until it was done.

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very well done. I like the larger red sections, the larger dimensions adds a lot.

There is some careful work there!

Thanks for sharing.

KMCloonan

Thanks all for the great comments. You can't imagine (or maybe you can...) how much I have learned from just looking at all the great pens and discussions on this site. Every time I have "conquered" a new method or design possibility, I see 10 more possibilities to consider. 2 days ago I had never heard of or seen a 6 sided celtic knot. Thanks to this forum, I have my next challenge! Thanks again.

Top Bottom