Woodwind Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

The pen in the foreground is the newest "Woodwind Pen" that I just finished as a commissioned piece. The one in the background was my entry for the Freestyle Pen contest in the 2012 IAP Bash. (which won first place :biggrin: )(Yes, I missed the Bash this year :mad:)
I believe I called the first one a Piccolo pen.

I start with a vintage piccolo pen (I like the one's from the mid 1800's) which usually arrives cracked with green corroded silver finger keys. I carefully disassemble the piccolo, measure and cut my pen length, mount the body of the piccolo between centers and sand it down,fill in cracks with blackwood dust (or turn it down gently prior to sanding) (I can't turn it down much because the hardware has to screw back into the original holes)

I find some method of chucking the body so I can bore the needed diameter for the pen kit hardware (Harvest Roman in this case- Timberbits). The cap is the most challenging and laborious. I do a custom inset of the cap hardware. I make the cap out of African Blackwood, but I choose the diameters based on silver accent pieces from the original piccolo. I use 2 part epoxy (Harbor Freight) to put everything together (gassing CA glue does not play well with pen parts or silver)

I do no like the end of the body on either pen. On the next one I am going to completely rethink this part.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Woodwind-Pen.jpg
    Woodwind-Pen.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 347
  • Woodwind-3.jpg
    Woodwind-3.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Woodwind-2.jpg
    Woodwind-2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Woodwind-4.jpg
    Woodwind-4.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 173
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Awesome work Martin! It was impressive seeing the first one but now two! I like them and hope you charge them to the moon and back! Your work is second to none. Thanks for sharing!

MartinPens

Thank you all very much. It's nice to post once in a blue moon. I hope to do more of it this year. (And thanks Cindy-nava1uni- I wish I didn't have to send it off so I could bring it to the next group meeting)

MartinPens

Awesome work Martin! It was impressive seeing the first one but now two! I like them and hope you charge them to the moon and back! Your work is second to none. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you!
I didn't charge nearly enough, but I needed something to get me going again. My day job leaves me pretty exhausted.

Top Bottom