Woodpens Photo Album

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodpens

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpens

I felt a little slow figuring out the photo albums, but I finally got mine up and running. I just uploaded some of the pens with inlays that I have made over the last few months and a few that I like just because of the natural beauty of the wood. :D
Here's a shortcut: http://tinyurl.com/263ju

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jim - I'm a little slow in getting some instructions up on how to use the album. It's not exactly an intuitive system! Thanks a bunch for uploading the outstanding pictures. Can we beg you to write an article on making the inlays?

woodpens

Hi Jeff,
I will start putting an article together. It may take a little while though. I'll let you know when it is ready to turn into a pdf. I'll take plenty of pictures for it.

woodpens

I have just uploaded a picture of a Gentleman Junior pen I made today in the Woodpens photo album. It is the last picture on page 2. The lower barrel is made of African Blackwood with 3 mammoth ivory inlays. The cap is made from mammoth ivory with 6 Blackwood inlays. I took a lot of pictures of the process so I can use them for that article about inlays that Scott wants me to write.

Here is a link to the photo album:
http://tinyurl.com/2r9nl

woodpens

Thanks, Bob. I like the way the body turned out. I am not as happy with the cap. I think I am going to remake it, but haven't figured out exactly what I am going to do.

txbob

Jim,
I have a couple comments, if you're interested. The one thing that bothers me about the inlays is that they don't match. The lower inlay has three components, a center element and two balls. The center element is 80% of the length of the inlay, and twice the width of the balls. But more importantly the center element is concave. The upper inlay also has three components, but the center element is a much smaller part of the inlay's length, isn't as wide as the two balls, and is convex. They're close enough alike that they should match, but they don't. It's like you wanted them to match but you goofed. I also think perhaps the pen looks too busy, i.e. there are too many inlays.

The solution is to make it obvious that you don't mean for them to match. I'd make a new cap in white, but with no inlays, to go with the existing lower barrel. And I'd make a new black lower barrel to go with the existing cap. It either would have no inlays or would have inlays exactly matching in size, shape, and number, those on the cap. The middle of the inlays on the cap is 25% of the way down the cap. I'd put the inlays on the lower barrel 25% of the way up from the tip.

Dr. Phil says not to substitute someone else's judgement for your own, and that's good advice.

Please show us some pictures of what you end up doing with the pen,
Bob S.

woodpens

I agree with you, Bob. The two inlays were actually designed to go together, but not separately as I used them. The small inlay was to be placed between the large inlays. I may try that an a large pen such as the El Grande.
The ivory cap cracked as do MANY ivory pens. I am only going to use ivory for inlays and accents from now on. That ivory cap was actually available because the lower barrrel cracked. Today, I chose to make a Blackwood cap with no inlays. I think it looks pretty good this way. I do like the blackwood/ivory combination. I am going to try it with a sterling silver El Grande next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom