WoodInkie #1; scored and inked wood veneer pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

I had a minor light bulb moment as I watched the recent Warriors-Cavaliers NBA playoffs with my family - the focus was vibrant scoring runs - hmmmmm...

The question and idea: If I score some wood veneer, will the cuts stop the flow of alcohol ink and permit reasonably clear color demarcation?
(yes, pretty well)

Here's my first little try - WoodInkie #1; Sierra Click Pencil for a musician/composer friend who writes out and marks up music the old fashioned way (without a computer):

Steps:
Cut out a piece of 1/32" wood veneer.
Score a series of parallel cuts with a fine blade, about 1/2 way through the veneer - these will permit rolling the veneer around a brass tube without cracking.
Then score some curved lines for visual interest (curvy Mondrian style composition)
Brush or mark on the colors with alcohol ink pens, and it's fun to watch the color stop in the trough of score lines. I had a little color bleeding across the shallower scores - but not fatal - minor fouls.
Run the colored veneer through a Xyron to apply permanent adhesive to the back side.
Clean the pen tube well with acetone.
Roll the veneer onto the pen tube and trim carefully.
Brush on a coat of Judikins Diamond Glaze Dimensional Adhesive to seal it - let dry for 3 days.
Hand rub with a few coats of thin CA - best done by protecting your finger with a poly pen parts bag.
I did not sand this one - but will probably do so on subsequent WoodInkies:
attachment.php

attachment.php

My ever-outspoken wife deemed it an "interesting scoring run".

Happy Saturday to all - Bob

Attachments

• WoodInkieMethod1,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    WoodInkieMethod1,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 418
  • WoodInkie1,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    WoodInkie1,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

Bob,

You just made me rethink a few things, and do a google search for something. That is a good thing.

I appreciate your willingness to show and describe what you are doing on a project.

Charlie_W

Beautiful work Bob! I enjoy your postings and showing/explaining the process for your masterpiece pens.
The stained glass illusion is great!

Have you thought of using a pyrography pen (skew) to mark your lines. The burnishing effect of the burnt lines should work very well in stopping bleeding of colors.

magpens

Bob, you always amaze with your creativity !!!!

Actually, I have tried a similar idea using scored veneer and alcohol-based ink markers, but was unsure of how CA would affect it so did not complete the exercise. . I now realize it will probably be OK to go ahead and CA it, so I might post when I am done.

Thanks for your encouragement to discard the constraints of "the box" !!!!!

Bob in SF

Many thanks to Seth, Chris, Phil, Charlie W, and Mal for kind comments!

Charlie W - Great idea about inks and pyrography lines - I'll try it ASAP!

Still no box in sight.

Thanks again - Bob

OZturner

Another Incredible Trip for a Drink from "Bob's Ingenuity Well".

Bob you have an Unique Mind.
And When a Free Mind Soars High Like an Eagle on the Wind, it is Not Inhibited nor Constrained by Fences or Boxes.

The Broad Reaching Effect of your Post is like Looking at an Apartment Block, just after Sunset. You can see the Lights inside the Apartments, One by One become Illuminated from the Triggering of your Post. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the Fantastic Concept and Process for your "WoodInkie".
Brian.

Last edited:

Bob in SF

Heartfelt thanks to Jim, Brian, David, JP, Layne, and Phil!

Brian - You've just given me an idea - tiny colorific city skyline pens, night and day! - thanks, Friend.

Phil - the Xyron is versatile, and does indeed expand creative options - in and out of pen making. I used it recently to help a friend wallpaper his daughter's doll house interior with her drawings.

Layne - great idea!

And thanks to Charlie W's pyrography suggestion, I'm starting a little series of PyroColor pens - nice chance to color-then-burn, burn-then-color, or some of each. This morning's first effort was turn-then-color-then-burn (ready for CA finish) - will post steps after the little family is formed:
attachment.php

Happy Sunday to all - Bob

Attachments

• PyroColorKnurledPen1,markison,2017,600px.jpg
    PyroColorKnurledPen1,markison,2017,600px.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 207

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks for kind words, Mark!

Always glad to share the little discoveries - far short of a Nobel Pen Prize, but intrepid nonetheless.

Top Bottom