Wooden pens - Now with CAPS! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

This pen is made from African Blackwood - a member of the rosewood family.
One is 161mm closed, 140mm open, 198mm posted. (fat barrel - spotted cap)
The other is157mm closed, 135mm open, and 180mm postted. (skinny barrel - solid cap)
Both have 5/8" cap to barrel threads.

010.JPG

009.JPG

008.JPG

007.JPG

006.JPG

abc%20%2810%29.JPG

abc%20%289%29.JPG

abc%20%288%29.JPG

abc%20%287%29.JPG

abc%20%286%29.JPG

abc%20%285%29.JPG

abc%20%284%29.JPG

abc%20%283%29.JPG

abc%20%282%29.JPG

abc.JPG

012.JPG

011.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Nice work, I would suppose that the Blackwood should thread better than many woods, since it is quite dense and oily, and reasonably hard.
But I think I would do a plastic/PR liner for the cap, internal threading would seem a very scary thing on a pretty hard wood turned thin like your caps.

Andrew_K99

Great job.

Do you think they'd be as strong as an acrylic pen of the same size? Do you think the wood compromise the strength and/or stability of the pen?

AK

glycerine

I don't know if it's going to be weaker or stronger because of the wood. I do know that if the inserts ever break out I'll be making free replacement parts. :)

If I had a metal lathe, I'd do like Sailor and Pilot and other big makers, and use metal threaded inserts instead of plastic.

SAILOR KING OF PENS BRIER WOOD WITH GOLD TRIM FOUNTAIN PEN SUPERB AWESOME DESIGN | eBay

PenGallery Blog » Sailor

You COULD try aluminum. It turns and threads easily on a wood lathe and with taps/dies. At least the aluminum rod I got from Home Depot a while back does. I know there are different alloys, but I say give it a shot if you have the time.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I don't know if it's going to be weaker or stronger because of the wood. I do know that if the inserts ever break out I'll be making free replacement parts. :)

If I had a metal lathe, I'd do like Sailor and Pilot and other big makers, and use metal threaded inserts instead of plastic.

SAILOR KING OF PENS BRIER WOOD WITH GOLD TRIM FOUNTAIN PEN SUPERB AWESOME DESIGN | eBay

PenGallery Blog » Sailor

You COULD try aluminum. It turns and threads easily on a wood lathe and with taps/dies. At least the aluminum rod I got from Home Depot a while back does. I know there are different alloys, but I say give it a shot if you have the time.
Brass is even easier - and if it comes out nice, you can easily have it plated in the material of your choice.

Top Bottom