Image Insert:
200410414015_BicPen.jpg

40.72KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

How deep did you drill the hole?
Did you have trouble drilling the hole?
Was thinking of making a bunch as Christmas presents.

jwoodwright

My first attempts were using sections of original plastic tube for friction fit, like Bic. Then I used a mandrell and turned them and plugged the end. Glued in a 1/2" section of plastic.
Like these two:

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200410524845_firstbicpens.jpg
<br /> 17.9 KB

These were ok. I wanted more. So, I ordered a set of 6" drill bits from Grizzly. The blanks are step drilled. One size for refill. One for friction fit of refill ball point end. This is not a one-use, in that it's on it's 2nd refill! Turned on lathe with hole in live center... It does want to "whip" so a steady rest is in the works. It's 12" long.

Efletche

One of my physicians wants me to make him an elongated pen cover for his fine felt tipped pens. This gives me an idea on how to do it.

wayneis

There is another way, there are a couple of companies that sell a kit like this. It has a short tube (about 1 1/4") that has threads inside one end. You need a long drill bit, glue in the tube and turn on a special mandrel that you put in a drill chuck or collett chuck is what I use. After you have it turned then you just part off your finished pen and the gold pen tip screws into the end. It is pretty easy and not very expensive. This is what I use to turn wedding pens for the guest book and regerstry.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom