Woodcraft P40 Custom Acrylic Logo Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

After a 6 week hiatus recovering from shoulder surgery I finally got back into the shop! I saw this pen on a previous IAP post and my wheels immediately began spinning about various types of custom logo blanks I could do for this pen.

This is the first attempt at a custom logo blank and I tried to make it look like the fuselage markings of a Flying Tigers P40. Had to modify my Sierra style tube in molds as these tubes are very very short. Ended up plugging one of the tube with some modeling clay and using the supplied plugs with the mold to keep it suspended while casting.

Overall, I am pretty happy with how this turned out. I need to move the flying Tigers logo up a little closer to the "kill" flag markings and I had a little bit of a delamination occur when I had to punch out the threaded inserts you press in to get the nib and rear section threaded in place. I realized too late that the best way to ensure the front nib and the rear section line up properly on the blank is to thread them onto the brass inserts first and then press them into the tube. Lesson learned....

I have a few more that I have made up in various styles and can't wait to turn them as well!

C and C's always welcomed!

Attachments

• IMG_4771.jpg
    IMG_4771.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4774.jpg
    IMG_4774.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 198
Top Bottom