Wood you rarely see! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

This is my favorite wood! This is not your usual afzelia burl, it is mineral stained, this type is on another level: it's got swirls, chatoyance, black and yellow! :)

Regarding the turning, I am having difficulties lately... the barrel on this pen is a tiny little bit oval and underturned at some spots and overturned at others. It annoys me but I could not pass that one, still a keeper.

I only made two pictures because I am tired. Clicky the thumbnails! :)

Thanks for looking,

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Gotta admit it. That is great looking wood Charles. I get the slight out of round occasionally. I blame it on harder and softer areas of the blank. Usually shows up on my final sanding. I can feel it with the lathe running but not off the lathe usually.

weasel1219

It is splendid work and can get tiring...but the slight oval is nothing to be worried about.
I have had more people request this type of barrel instead of the straight barrel. I think it gives it a certain character to it. Shows how diverse pen making can be...
Beautiful work....

South Texas Pen Works
www.southtexaspenworks.com

Another beautiful pen Charles.
I am nobody to tell you how or what to do but if you are still using a mandrel, get rid of it and TBC it makes a world of difference.
It could be if the wood is real soft in spots and hard in other that when you are sanding it takes the soft wood away quicker then the hard wood.

CharlesH

Another beautiful pen Charles.
I am nobody to tell you how or what to do but if you are still using a mandrel, get rid of it and TBC it makes a world of difference.
It could be if the wood is real soft in spots and hard in other that when you are sanding it takes the soft wood away quicker then the hard wood.

Thanks for the advice.

This wood is hell to work with. It is really soft, had to CA it every cut I took, think of punky pine in term of density. :)

Charles

Top Bottom