Wood, Wood, Wood Burl Navigator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

EDIT - Added a picture no mirror, no red

So I was playing around with some different ideas tonight, and here's what I've come up with. This is a chrome Navigator Kit and Ribbed Fruit Malle. I tried a wood post and a wood center ring. The wood pieces are in the order they were cut off the blank. I'd like to find some w ay to core the top so I could use the core to turn a nib Then all the grain would still match.

I took some pictures with a mirror and without. I'm still playing with the different pictures styles

Attachments

• mirror_closed.jpg
    mirror_closed.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 347
  • mirror_open.jpg
    mirror_open.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 316
  • nomirror_closed.jpg
    nomirror_closed.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 260
  • nomirror_open.jpg
    nomirror_open.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 267
  • gray.jpg
    gray.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

I really like the look of the pieces that you replaced.

The pics? Well, get rid of the mirror and the red cloth is too distraction. Need something lighter.

davinci27

I hadn't seen the post replace either. Wasn't sure how it was going to look but I'm pretty happy with it. I think on the next one, I'll use a different wood for the post and finial. I also want to replace the nib part of the pen. I'm going to try to do this with the sedona as well. I like the rounded ends on that kit, I just need to figure out how to disassemble the finial on top of the cap.

VisExp

I'm going to try to do this with the sedona as well. I like the rounded ends on that kit, I just need to figure out how to disassemble the finial on top of the cap.

If you can do that, I think it would look great on the Sedona! I also like the rounded ends on that kit.

Nice job on the Navigator. I really like the custom center band.

As far as the pictures, I find the mirror very distracting and prefer a more neutral colored background. You might want to try a piece of acrylic sheet on a colored background. It gives just a hint of a reflected image with out being to distracting.

Skye

Very cool idea!

I think getting all the grain to match is a great goal, but I think for the most part it'll go unnoticed by the average buyer. So, while I'd defiantly try it, I wouldn't let it trip you up too much!

bitshird

Ben, that is a super pen,this is the first time I have seen the end post replaced with wood, and it looks so natural, at least you cap button doesn't stick up quite as bad as mine does, I'm not sure about doing the grip on a baron though, the wood would bee so thin it would most likely self destruct, but the post on your pen is Awesome.

davinci27

Thanks everybody, I added a new picture no red, no mirror.

Skye: Yeah I figure most people wouldn't notice, but I thought I'd try to use something with a little bolder grain pattern. something that would make it more obvious.

bitshird: I was thinking about the grip, I think it would work but the hole would have to be a bit smaller than the standard grip. Also I was thinking of continuing to use the actual metal tip but not sure about getting the threads in there. I think it might be better with fountain nib. I'm ordering some sedona's and baron's today so I'll see what I've got.

sptfr43

hey get out of my head! I was thinking of the same thing with the wood post but being 600 miles from my lathe haven't had the chance to try it. Of course judging by past experience I would only get as far as taking the post apart before I lost my train of thought. but no matter.. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!. Nice job by the way

davinci27

hey get out of my head! I was thinking of the same thing with the wood post but being 600 miles from my lathe haven't had the chance to try it. Of course judging by past experience I would only get as far as taking the post apart before I lost my train of thought. but no matter.. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!. Nice job by the way

I promise I will, just need to make sure there are no more good ideas for me to steal before I leave:biggrin:

Top Bottom