wood pile birch burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jjartwood

Jjartwood

It seems that no self respecting pen guy can walk past a pile of fire wood and not at least take a passing glance, I found this piece of birch burl in the pile that was to be burned,it didn't look like much, but it looked like enough to get a couple of pens out of. Along with the chainsaw trim marks there were worm holes so I thought I'd take a run at it.I did get one full blank but had to cast the other blank to get the pieces in line for a pen. I used a couple of nav's and built a set,I was amazed at the color variance of the wood being such a small piece. It was a good "something from nothing" project and it was nice to get back to wood for awhile.
Thanks for looking
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 260
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I'm one that like to see pieces of wood with some "character", different people have a different views on what character is wood is/mean but to me, is anything that is natural, created by nature, regardless if part of the tree or by nature creatures.

Worm holes can really set a piece of wood appart in my view, not all wormholes are the same nor all look good so, all to its own.

It should also be said that, for some folks, anything but, "perfect grained wood" and totally flawless, is unacceptable and they would spend a minute of their time, trying to transform a flaw into a feature, again, all to its own but, I don't mind at all to be challenged with an unusual piece of wood, regardless of how bad it looks.

It turn out that, you eyes capture something special, the colours are amazing and the work you done to rebuilt the blanks, was well done...!

Cheers
George

wyone

I like uniformity if I am doing cabinets or something like that. For Pens, bowls, vases, etc, I love wood that has weird grains, unusual, different, not ordinary. I guess I look at those projects as more in the art category and as such, I like all the help I can get to make the art better. :)

OZturner

Great Save from a Firey Grave Mark.
Outstanding Blanks, Beautiful Pens.
As the saying goes, "Beauty is in the Eye's of the Beholder"
So Glad you had the Eye, and became the Beholder.
Congratulations,
Brian.

triw51

Your workmanship is fantastic and you did a great job in both finding and pen making.
I understand not passing a wood pile and looking (or ogling). I saw some beautiful splatted sycamore in FLA when I was visiting my daughter and brought home a suitcase full.

Top Bottom