wood I.D.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

guts

This wood was salvaged from an old building in my home town in S.W Pa. by my Sister,question is what kind of wood is it,any ideas?

2007117235843_100_0673.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beamer

Between the color and the grain - it's kinda cherry lookin, but walnut colored ... I could be convinced it was walnut, near the edge of the sapwood/heartwood border if it weren't for the uniform, dense grain - walnut usually has some deeper pitted cells.

If you twist my arm, i'm with the rest and say it's some oddly colored cherry.

I'll be absolutely no help, but my wife is forever picking up a piece of wood when we walk in the woods... since I can never identify it, I usually just call it FOG - Found on Ground... this may be FIOB... Found in old Building?[}:)]

That is a beaut of a pen though... !!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I don't care what wood it is, with that finish you have turned it into gold!!!!!![:D]

One day... just maybe mine will be half that good[:(]

guts

thanks everyone,i think i like chucks idea(FIOB)gonna try and find out when the building was built,just a guess would be in the early 1900's.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by low_48
<br />I think the wood is poplar. Very nice finish, very nice craftsmanship.

It does remind me of Poplar also. The spalted part doesn't look like real spalting as much as the colors common in poplar.

Woodnknots

In my mind, two real possibilities. Poplar first. Second is a water stained maple. If the building was put up that long ago, it would have been done with rough cut lumber that was readily available. Maple or poplar fit that bill. Cherry probably would have been problematic for that usage, and not as plentiful.
I speak from a little experience with recovering wood from old buildings that were put up with rough cut local timbers.

guts

Gary,no nasty smell to it and don't smell anything like the cherry i'm working with now,so i'm thinking more like walnut,but i can also see why someone would think poplar because of the green hue to it,what ever it is i like it and it turns like butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom