Wood from Down Under

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wyone

wyone

I decided I had to try one of the blanks I got from the most generous down under people from the I have to say, it turned very nicely and I love the grain of the wood. I have been so busy trying new things and new techniques that I forgot what joy it is to turn a really nice piece of wood. Thank you so much once again George!

Attachments

• She Oak 2 redone.jpg
    She Oak 2 redone.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 174
  • She Oak 4 redone.jpg
    She Oak 4 redone.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 137
  • She Oak redone.jpg
    She Oak redone.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 178
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well, I'm proud of this wood and the fact that it was a generically modified species, all done from local local people and that 20 years later, I manage to salvage some of it before it was stolen for firewood or simply destroyed by the local council to control the spread of the Termite and other wood borer creatures that found haven in this small area of plantation so, council has been shredding the diseased tree and burning the chips to kill anything in the wood.

Of-course, some of its "relative" species living in the area, are of identical appearance to the untrained eye however, there are obvious distinctions that have been confirmed by many wood turners all over Australia that saw this wood and commented of its slight difference, making it nothing they have seen before.

There are a few of these trees left, a couple are still the original trees (such as the one in the pic), other are off-spring germinated by seed spread by wind to a small area of distribution.

The problem is that, this dead/dry wood is premium firewood and trees get get in public land without permission or knowledge of the authorities, I on the other hand, have acquired permission to salvage some of them, after demonstrating that I had a good reason to do so and a plan to treat the infested wood, when moved to an area of under my control, there is, maintain the wood separated from the rest and process the logs, where the infested areas with the presence of the Termites, would be fumigated with poison or destroyed by fire so, a percentage of the infested lost are lost but what is left, is great stuff so, I don't mind all the extra work and red tape...!

The tree in the pic, has been under mu surveillance for 6 years, when I first notice that it was dying, I immediately requested permission to remove it before it would get too infested with Termites (what kills them, to start with...!) however, I was told that, these trees tend to go trough a stage where they become a little yellow when attacked by Termites but that, it can fit back and in a very small number of cases, recover and survive.

I already knew that, but I also know that, none of the ones planted, ever recovered and were totally infested within 3 years, some to the point of impossible to salvage any wood from, the longer they stay on the ground, the more the Termites eat and allow Termite nests to be developed near by, as those three are a constant food supply for some years.

This particular tree in the pic, I was told to wait 5 years, before they would be satisfied that the tree would never recover, I don't thing that was the only reason as I have some doubts of the competency of the person in charge at that time but, I obliged. Since, this person was replaced and the one replacing it, is always to busy to look at the many pics I sent, showing that the tree is dead, and have been for some years but, I'm yet to be given the "green light".

I'm watching it and concerned that someone will cut it for firewood, it may have escape that faith this year as winter is gone and Summer is on its way, fast but, I doubt that it will last another year so, I'm putting some pressure now, before is too late...! (I lost a few already, in this very same way...!:mad:)

Anyway, is not easy for me to get this sort of work done but, the tree is small considering (normal size) so, it all can be done from the ground so, that is good...!
Is not a lot more than the main trunk, of any use but, a good chunk of wood that I should be able to salvage 50% or more...!:wink:

This is what pleases me considerably, see that people from all over the world, gets to touch, smell and work with it, something that would go unnoticed, otherwise...!:biggrin:

Thank you for being one of "those" people...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 121
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 109

wyone

I am going to print out that notation and keep it with this pen. I already had decided that I wanted to keep it and even more so now.

I also used WTF rather than CA as I normally would do because I wanted to hold the actual wood in my fingers not just the finish. I am not sure people who are not wood lovers would understand that, but to me, it means a lot.

I loved turning it and am looking forward to enjoying it for years. It even has one small hole that I considered filling, but did not because it was part of the character. I guess that is my termite hole. :)

Thank you again so much for the blank and even more for the background.

SDB777

What species?

The borers didn't come with the timber did it? The grain is really, really nice!!!

Scott (dark on gold = awesome) B

Top Bottom