Wonderful Sunday

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darbytee

Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

Today was a great day. We took our daughter to the park, had some ice cream, watched a great final round of the Masters, and I got to turn some pens. Here's they are: Mun Ebony gold baron, black enamel cocobolo slimline, two tone afzelia xy lay, spalted buckeye, and lionwood cigar pens. Thanks for looking.

200541111558_bc.jpg

200541111614_3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtjw

Your right. It was a wonderful sunday. Beatiful here too. Went to church. Watched Tiger win, a nap inbetween, and turned three pens also. A good weekend. Nice pens.

darbytee

Thanks guys.

Wayne, Lionwood is also known as Catalina Ironwood. I got this batch from Clint McCormick (McFamily woods). He is excellent to deal with and always sends incredible wood. This was the first piece of it that I turned. It turned very easily and was quite oily, kind of like cocobolo. I don't really know the specifics on the tree but all of the pieces I got from Clint had sapwood and heartwood on them.

woodpens

Very nice job, Fred! My day didn't go so well. I had one beautiful crotch walnut pen that had little chunks blowout. I tried filling it in, but the brass tube showed when I was done. I scrapped it, and managed to score my mandrel pretty badly when all that CA glue welded the bushings to it. I couldn't free the bushings and wound up trashing my mandrel in the process. I happened to have a spare, but it had a heck of a wobble when I put it in the headstock. I got it running reasonably true. I started making a Bethlehem Olivewood Havana rollerball pen. It is an amazing piece of wood. I turned it down to final diameter and found some serious cracks that has to be filled. I knew it was time to get out of the shop before I broke something like a window. LOL I usually give in to Murphy much quicker, but my orders are pretty strong right now. I'm having a time getting caught up. Tomorrow's another day... [:)]

darbytee

Thanks again guys.

Anthony, I like the afzelia too, although the upper tube is too thin on this pen. I had a catch with the skew and tried to turn it down instead of fill it.

Jim and Gregory, I had a day like that last week. Everything I touched turned to scrap. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom