Wish you could see this up close

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dgscott

dgscott

...and in the sunlight! It's purple celluloid from American Art Plastics. Looks dark, almost black, until you put it under bright light. It's a deep purple with a distinct grain and little silver sparkles swirled throughout. There's a pretty good picture of the material (sans sparkles) at their website: http://www.americanartplastics.com/celluloid/Purple_Web.shtml
Doug

Attachments

• celluloid.jpg
    celluloid.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 384
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

How was this material to turn? I checked out the website, and they do have some (and will have more) interesting materials.

BTW -- like the quote. We have two small grandkids now from our oldest daughter. When I watch how active they are, I wonder how my wife and I ever had the energy. (Yes, it was because we were young then...)

dgscott

How was this material to turn? I checked out the website, and they do have some (and will have more) interesting materials.

I like working with celluloid. You have to be slow and deliberate and make sure it doesn't overheat (boom!), but holds threads very well and takes a beautiful shine. Has a REAL strong camphor smell when you work it which I don't mind and my wife tolerates better than when I work ebonite!

BTW -- like the quote. We have two small grandkids now from our oldest daughter. When I watch how active they are, I wonder how my wife and I ever had the energy. (Yes, it was because we were young then...)

Aren't grandchildren great? All of the love and none of the guilt ("Hey, it isn't my fault s/he did that!") :)

Doug

Top Bottom