Wire Insulation sleeving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

I was talking with a member here about my metal sleeving blanks today and mentioned to him that what started me down the path of using sleeving was some very colorful wire insulation sleeving. Here are a couple colors that came out well. Have a few more that need to be cast yet. But these are cast in a clear poly resin. Thanks for looking and any comments or questions are always welcomed.

IMGP0634.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Cool stuff John. It's looking similar to carbon fiber this insulation stuff.

It does a little but it is just fiberglass weaving that actually unravels quite easily if not careful.

I just started a new job so my shop time is nonexistant so I do not know when I will get the others casted but they have some nice color to them.

RAdams

Banned
Looks like you did a good job lining them up on the tube without getting distorted! COOL pens, and a fun story to match!

louie68

pens

John nice pens!!! question where did you fine your casting molds, i like to try casting but don't know where to buy them. Thanks , Louie

jttheclockman

John nice pens!!! question where did you fine your casting molds, i like to try casting but don't know where to buy them. Thanks , Louie

Louie

I do my casting alot different then most people here so I am really not the person to ask about molds and things of that nature. There are some good tutorials in the library and am sure you would get alot of help from here. Casting is fun and it just opens up so many different materials that you could use. You need to give it a try and have some fun.

Very nice. Like Tony, I find the pink one is hard to stare at for very long. The green and black are REALLY nice.

It is funny several of you have said that because I have a twist seirra with the RED/BLUE blank on it and use it as an everday pen and people who have borrowed my pen have made similar comments. It has a 3D effect too because of the resin.

jttheclockman

Last edited:

Padre

John,
Thank you very much!!! Those pens are gorgeous and some day......maybe..............:tongue:
Chip

I have used a few sources from time to time and here are a couple. http://www.buyheatshrink.com/braidedsleeving/pet-braided-sleeving.htm

http://cableorganizer.com/cable-sleeving/

And one more http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/BraidedSleeving.php

They used to have a color chart but you may have to ask for it. I probably had gotten about 20 different colors at one time.

Have a great day.

Padre

John,
I was looking at the links you provided. Will any of the colored mesh work? Should I go with plastic or kevlar or what? And what size works the best? Many thanks.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

John,
I was looking at the links you provided. Will any of the colored mesh work? Should I go with plastic or kevlar or what? And what size works the best? Many thanks.

Never use Kevlar. Resin won't stick. I use all nylon sleevings that are colored such as the last ones I shown here. http://www.buyheatshrink.com/braidedsleeving/pet-braided-sleeving.htm There are so many colors. Now some of these are too open weave that the brass tubes show through but that sometimes could be a good thing because it will give even a different look if you paint the tubes.

Now on this page if you look at the top left corner you will see expandible flexible sleeving and then see pet black and under it is a whole bunch of colors. These are the ones I use the most. They used to have a color chart but I do not see it any more. If you send them an email they will be able to supply you with a color chart. You can buy by the foot with these people. I get some of my other metal blanks from here as well. http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/BraidedSleeving.php I just placed an order with them yesterday for some chrome sleeving because it seems that one is popular for me.

If you notice all these sleevings are expandable so look at the size you think your tubes are and use this. I buy the 3/8" stuff because it will expand to 5/8"

If you are interested in the colored carbon fiber sleeves that is a different link and I can find that one as well.

Padre

John,
I contacted both of these companies and they don't colors by the foot.

Padre

I found some! Here! :) Thank you! Oh yeah, btw, where do you get your carbon fiber sleeves? :)

Top Bottom