WIP have to post! First Segmentation..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DennisM

DennisM

Ok, well here is my FIRST attempt at a simple segmented pen. It is Maple and Ebony.

Now I do not own a jointer nor a planer, have a bandsaw that i realized after I cut these that the table was not square to the blade. SO I cut them and taped a piece of sandpaper to a glass picture frame and sanded by hand. Then checked on the rail of the lathe.

The top shows the glue up the diaganal cut was taken from and the bottem shows the blank ready for finish! I Know its really simple and not to hard, but start to finish only took 2 hours. I can not wait to build a sled for the TS and get the bandsaw tuned up!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• DSC00218.jpg
    DSC00218.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 327
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DennisM

Finished@!

Here is the finished pen!
7 coats of CA then three rounds of hut high gloss. (dont have any BLO forgot to pick it up)

The camara flash is putting a glare on the pen that isnt there, Will be setting up the photo tent tomorrow!

Attachments

• DSC00219.jpg
    DSC00219.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 284

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well Dennis, you get LOTS of points for guts.

Ebony does not play nice in glue ups. And black and white is a PIA to sand without the dark running into the light. But, you know all that now!!

Next time, consider making it easier. Walnut will take glue well. The "dark-light problem" will still exist, but not as bad.

Do NOT use bloodwood-it runs into all other colors, too.

Your laminations look GREAT!!! The other problems we have all experienced. FUN, HUH?????

Care for some resin? The colors don't run into each other!!!!

DennisM

Well Dennis, you get LOTS of points for guts.

Ebony does not play nice in glue ups. And black and white is a PIA to sand without the dark running into the light. But, you know all that now!!

Next time, consider making it easier. Walnut will take glue well. The "dark-light problem" will still exist, but not as bad.

Do NOT use bloodwood-it runs into all other colors, too.

Your laminations look GREAT!!! The other problems we have all experienced. FUN, HUH?????

Care for some resin? The colors don't run into each other!!!!

Ed thanks for the advice there, I figured the ebony would run, but was bored and figured the best way to learn and move forward was to just do it. I was thinking I love the look of light maple on the ebony, would it work to stabilize it with some kind of clear sealer? As for the laminates, thanks, that was a PITA, but it worked.

Oh and yes, I will be making an order real soon from you!

kevin miller

i am glad you put in a picture of the glue up it is easier to learn new ways to do segmenting by seeing pictures. thanks good job. kevin

Top Bottom