Wine Cork

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

Here is a pen made from a used wine bottle cork. Stags Leap.

Pens - 12-28-10 Stags Leap Wine Cork.jpg

Pens - Stages Leap Wine Cork - BAckside.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

That is great! Not at all what I expected from the title, but way cool anyway. From my experience, cork drilling can be iffy at best. It looks like you have it down pretty well pat. Congratulations on a very nice pen.
Charles

Knucklefish

Wow, that's soooooo cool. I gotta try this but since I am fairly new to this sport I gotta know..... Did you "prep" the cork somehow? Can you just drill it as is or did you have to stabilize it somehow prior to drilling? Also, is it the original diamater as it came out of the bottle? Thanks and nice work!
John

Jgrden

Wow, that's soooooo cool. I gotta try this but since I am fairly new to this sport I gotta know..... Did you "prep" the cork somehow? Can you just drill it as is or did you have to stabilize it somehow prior to drilling? Also, is it the original diamater as it came out of the bottle? Thanks and nice work!
John
John:
No prep work, just drilled it out with a 16 mm brad bit at high speed. The hard part is cutting a sliver out and fastening it to the tube.

wood-of-1kind

No prep work, just drilled it out with a 16 mm brad bit at high speed. The hard part is cutting a sliver out and fastening it to the tube.[/QUOTE]

I am assuming that you mean a 10mm bit to drill a 'cigar' tube? Very nice design with the cork top.

Jgrden

No prep work, just drilled it out with a 16 mm brad bit at high speed. The hard part is cutting a sliver out and fastening it to the tube.

I am assuming that you mean a 10mm bit to drill a 'cigar' tube? Very nice design with the cork top.[/quote]
Nope, 16 mm. The 10 mm would have allowed me to slip the cork onto the tube BUT there would have been too much cork. Y'can't sand the cork down because then you loose the decal and detail of the Merlot stain. :party:

Knucklefish

I am confused. Are you saying that drilling a larger hole on the inside of the cork has an impact on the outside diameter? Appreciate in advance you straightening me out.
John

wizard

John, Beautiful pen ! Very creative! Like Phillip, I love the contrasting colors as it really makes the pen, particularly the cork portion, stand out. Regards, Doc

Drstrangefart

I am confused. Are you saying that drilling a larger hole on the inside of the cork has an impact on the outside diameter? Appreciate in advance you straightening me out.
John

While I can't speak for the man, it looks like a larger hole is drilled, and then the required amount of material is removed by cutting it in half and shaving the flat surfaces until everything fits together right.

Jgrden

John

While I can't speak for the man, it looks like a larger hole is drilled, and then the required amount of material is removed by cutting it in half and shaving the flat surfaces until everything fits together right.
That is correct. I measured the circumference needed, used a piece of copper pipe (wood dowel would work) that the 16mm hole would slide over. Then I cut out a wedge so that the remaining cork could be wrapped around the tube. I use a Dremel to shave off edges so that they meet correctly. The issue is the LENGTH of the cork. A 2=1/4" cork works just fine. A 2" cork needs a spacer. I choose the top to be able to transport the edge of the cork to the edge of the clip.
If you understand this I expect to see some pretty nice cork pens coming up.
And yes, they blow up easily. This is why I use a very sharp, brad bit at high speed and slow drilling in the lathe.
Good luck, let's see what you come up with. :devil:

Drstrangefart

John

That is correct. I measured the circumference needed, used a piece of copper pipe (wood dowel would work) that the 16mm hole would slide over. Then I cut out a wedge so that the remaining cork could be wrapped around the tube. I use a Dremel to shave off edges so that they meet correctly. The issue is the LENGTH of the cork. A 2=1/4" cork works just fine. A 2" cork needs a spacer. I choose the top to be able to transport the edge of the cork to the edge of the clip.
If you understand this I expect to see some pretty nice cork pens coming up.
And yes, they blow up easily. This is why I use a very sharp, brad bit at high speed and slow drilling in the lathe.
Good luck, let's see what you come up with. :devil:

It'll be a while. I NEED to upgrade at least my table saw and bandsaw before things pick up. I want to work on segments more, but neither of my saws is good for the job beyond slapping 1/4 inch of acrylic in the grip area of a pen, and even that's hard to get right. Also, I will not be the one to empty any wine bottles and don't want to handle the empty ones to be honest. I will ply different waters.

wood-of-1kind

I am assuming that you mean a 10mm bit to drill a 'cigar' tube? Very nice design with the cork top.
Nope, 16 mm. The 10 mm would have allowed me to slip the cork onto the tube BUT there would have been too much cork. Y'can't sand the cork down because then you loose the decal and detail of the Merlot stain. :party:[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected then. Makes perfect sense now as to why you drill 'oversize' with a 16mm bit. Thanks for the 'tip'.:)

jskeen

Those worked out really well. Looks great on that kit too. Is it still a little on the soft side even after the CA? Can you dent it with a fingernail?

Now if you could just figure out how to do a champagne cork you could sell Dom Perignon pens for some really big bucks. You roll the cost of the corks in to the pen price and I'll help dispose of what's left for you :)

Top Bottom