See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

Hick !!

Shommeone nneeeddedd to do it !?

Pens - 5-2-12 #71 Rutherford Wine Cork over White Oak Wine Barrel Stave 2.jpg

Pens - 5-3-12 #72 Forest Valley Wine Cork over Sting Ray 1.jpg

Pens - 5-3-12 #73 Monterey Cork over Ebony with Red Coral 1.jpg

Pens - 5-3-12 #74 Ebony over Snake Skin 1.jpg

Pens - 5-2-12 #72 Turnbull Wine Cork - Raw.jpg This guy could be the culprit. :drink::beer:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Was thinking by turning the cork you'd loose the printed name....but you ain't lost it! Is that a CA finish too?

Very cool use for those corks!!!!

Scott

MattTheHat

I'm going to have to give that a go. I have some friends who have a HUGE glass vase in which they throw the corks from all the wine consumed in the home. They entertain a lot, and there must be at least 5,000 corks in that vase!

They'd love a his and her set of cork pens.

-Matt

Last edited:

LeeR

Wow, it is a wine stopper and pen in one unit! Very versatile. :tongue:

Seriously though, a great idea. I am surprised the markings survived.

MattTheHat

Would you share your experience on how to make them?

I'll tell you my experience from just yesterday...it was a nightmare. John's some kind of cork magician, I'll tell you that much!

I tried a couple of things, and with enough practice I think I could pull off a poorly executed version of what he's posted. First off, it would be simple enough to drill a cork, swather some CA on a brass tube and cram it in. Problem is, the resulting blank is going to need to be turned down. There goes the labeling.

Then I tried making a veneer out of the cork by first drilling the largest hole in the cork I could manage and then cutting the cylinder lengthwise with an Exacto knife. Then I soaked the cork in warm water and put it in a crude press to try to flatten it. With a bit more patience, I could have got a reasonably flat bit o' cork to work with. Problem is, you've still got to thin it down. A surface plate and some wet sandpaper would work if a guy were patient enough, though again, you can obviously only thin the inside or the pretty (I'm guessing pyro/burned) artwork will sand right off.

Then there's the issue of the resulting veneer being too long to wrap perfectly around the tube...or too short. Too short and you're out of luck. Too long, and you MIGHT be able to trim it down. And if you're lucky, you just might find a visually acceptable way to get rid of some of the label.

Then there's the issue of how to cut off the extra. You COULD overlap and use an Exacto to cut through both layers at once, thus ensuring a smooth cut that will match up, which I'm guessing is the best way to handle this chore.

Then you have to glue the darned cork to the tube! And line it all up. I tried zip ties to act as band clamps which caused the cork to pucker at the seam. I think maybe extreme patience is the only thing that would work to get it done right if the veneer route is taken.

If all that works, you still have to get a finish on top of it. I'm guessing BLO and CA would work well enough.

Bottom line...the man is a cork wizard of some sort as I mentioned at the start.

LOTS and LOTS of frustration TRYING to make a cork pen blank. LOTS.

My hat's off to John!

-Matt

Last edited:

Jgrden

MattTheHat.

Look through those wine corks and pull the ones with interesting logos on them. You can paint them or color them with Sharpies (you're going to coat them anyway) and make wonderful looking pens.
Say, are you using cigar pen tube? I would not try to wrap cork around Slimline tubes.
In order to make the cork adhere to the tube and in a nice looking base for a finish; use a press. Grocery stores sell cutting boards made of white plastic stuff. It is about 1/2 inch thick. Cut two pieces 2 X 3 and use self tapping screws to bind them together. Take a 15 mm drill bit and cut a hole down the center. After you have drilled and sliced the cork, place the cork into one half the mold/press and run a bead of clue down the bottom. Place the tube inside, position it and then put more thick CA along the sides and generously (not too generously) across the top where the seam will be created. Screw the mold back together and let set over night. The size you have left should compliment a cigar style top.
For this advice, please send cork.
John
THANK YOU FOR THE COMPLIMENT. WOW !!!! You have it figured out, don't give up.

Top Bottom