Wind Beneath My Wings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This is an idea I thought of the other day. I wanted to do butterfly wings on a pen, but real wings are to fragile to bend and glue on a blank. I dyed feathers orange, cut them in the shape of wings, and hand painted them to look like monarch butterfly wings. The blank is maple, with the feathers glued on. About 20 coats of thick CA applied to build up the surface and make it smooth to the touch. Sanded with 220 and 600 cloth. And one coat of One-Step Plastic Polish. The kit is a PSI Gatsby in Crome and Gunmetal. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0004 (214x640).jpg
    DSCF0004 (214x640).jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 326
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That pen is remarkable. I would love to see a more direct picture of it. Very creative and I think you have a real winner there Jim. Very nice.

RMayoIII

The feather/wing looks great but I think you could have gotten the same look using a decal and saved a lot of time... Just my opinion! Looks great though very realistic

Last edited:

plantman

The feather/wing looks great but I think you could have gotten the same look using a decal and saved a lot of time... Just my opinion! Looks great though very realistic

The realistic part is why I use a feather instead of a decal. I have nothing to do, and all day to do it. It's called retirement. Jim S

Top Bottom