Willow burl pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dwarmbrodt

dwarmbrodt

I started a thread a bit ago in the blank making section, but thought I would post here as well. There is an old willow tree in my back yard with some burl growths on it. I harvested a small one. cut and dried it and made a pen from it. Not the greatest character, but I kinda like it. C&C welcome.

Doug

Attachments

• Burl.jpg
    Burl.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Willow1.jpg
    Willow1.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Willow2.jpg
    Willow2.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 209
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Burl wood is so beautiful. It looks like you got a good one here. You did a nice job with it too. I like those longer barrel pens for showing off a nice piece of wood. Keep up the good work..

robutacion

I started a thread a bit ago in the blank making section, but thought I would post here as well. There is an old willow tree in my back yard with some burl growths on it. I harvested a small one. cut and dried it and made a pen from it. Not the greatest character, but I kinda like it. C&C welcome.

Doug

Well, it may be not the most crazy grain I've seen in a burl but, the quality of the pics and your work, makes up for it...!

It resembles some blanks I cut/have from and old pear tree I cut years ago.

Another thing that makes that pen specials is that, has come from one of your trees and you harvested that burl yourself, how many people can say that...???

Cheers
George

What that blank may or may not lack in features it more than make up for in chatoyance and curl. You captured that nicely and that is not an easy job.

SDB777

Willow is definitely one of those 'hit-or-miss' for burls(got some spotted and I'm just waiting on a storm...wink, wink). Seems this was a semi great piece, if it only had some of those 'eyes'....

Fit-n-finish are great and the longer kit shows a LOT of timber(always a big plus for me)!!!

Scott (well done, like steak) B

NittanyLion

Willow burl is a great candidate for dying. It sucks the dye in well and with this curl it should come out very nice. As is, the slight hint of orange is unique and looks great.

Top Bottom