Will it Split?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

Here is my Ebony Elegant Sierra, Chrome kit. Finished it with PolyWax. I love these Elegant Sierras

Pens - 11-16-09 Ebony  Elegant Sierra.jpg

Pens - 11-16-09 Ebony Elegant Sierra 2.jpg

Pens - 11-16-09 Ebony Elegant Sierra 3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

John I had an Ebony pen split after 3 months, luckily it was still in my posession not a customers, will not use Ebony anymore but going to try ebonising a lighter wood like the tutorial on the homepage.

Chief Hill

Well I have sold a bunch of black ebony and have yet to hear about splitting issues. Hopefully I don't hear of any problems.

Daniel

Sharp looking pen but you know odds are against you. I gave up on Ebony years ago. African Blackwood makes a good alternative but you may have to search a bit to get a good even color. By the way I gave up on Water Buffalo Horn for the same reason. I have had both crack even up to a year or more after making the pen.

DennisM

Nice looking pen!

As for ebony cracking, so far I havnt had any crack, then again only have made two pens with it. But more to come.. :)

In talking with a good friend of mine, who builds custom pool cues for a living. He advised to make sure when glueing in the tube to coat the entire tube with ca, making sure to not have any sections without a coating of glue. Also once the pen is turned to size, a thin coat of ca on the out side and the edges to seal. Let fully cure then lightly sand and finish as normal.

He uses ebony for butt sleeves on the cues and they are often not much thicker then a pen..

Dont know if it works yet, but worth a shot..

Dennis

dontheturner

John I had an Ebony pen split after 3 months, luckily it was still in my posession not a customers, will not use Ebony anymore but going to try ebonising a lighter wood like the tutorial on the homepage.
Ligget, I have an ex UK friend in Bangkok, been there for 8-9 years, he is making Bagpipes, and also doing two miniature sets, at the King's College. He teaches making & playing to a class of females, I understand. (Running a Choir - or is that a racket? of Bagpipes) I will ask him, how he avoids splitting. (he uses Ebony,) and has difficulty, getting it here, so is trying some Ching Chan. dontheturner.

Top Bottom