See more from mik

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik

The Orchard, Milton Lane, Wookey Hole, Somerset, U
2005214172539_box1.jpg

Hi All
This is one I made earlier!
A matching penset in wild Greek olive wood of course.
A couple commissioned a celebration gift for their Daughter's wedding in wood, they arrived with a lump of timber from their land and said do something with this!
I came with the idea of of a matching penset - ballpoints - with the case matching too!
I completed the work and the customers were so thrilled they kept the gift and bought their Daughter something else!!
Well that was three years ago and the Daughter still does not know the set was for her!
I have now made quite a few sets for customers, you can see a few in my private collections pages on my web - www.mikpens.com - if you like.
The wooden case takes considerably longer to execute than the pens but is a real joy when it comes together, you only get one chance, because as you all probably know no other olive wood will match up!
Hope you enjoy

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I am becoming a huge fan of olive wood...I never realized there are so many different varieties...

...your wood is simply beautiful..and you have done a fantastic job of releasing the art in the wood...very nice.!

PenWorks

Very exquisite set Mike, Wonderfull workmanship on wonderfull wood.

As to your client, not to give this set to his daughter for a wedding gift! what a piece of %$# !

Anthony

mik

The Orchard, Milton Lane, Wookey Hole, Somerset, U
Thanks for your compliments guys!
The case secrets - hmm!
Oh alright then, probably to much to put in here but I will do my best.
The key is all in the cutting and size of olive wood block.
1 - Be sure to start with a large enough piece to suit the type of pen or pens.
2 - look at the grains and then here's the tricky bit you have to know your wood here - you have to make assumptions or I say an educated guess as to how the grains flow.
3 - First cut the entire length deep enough to get two blanks ie above or below - get this wrong and you've blown the whole thing!
4 - The two blanks make your pens as per normal - finish this first you will then ge a good idea on how this will look in the case!
5 - Finish the top and bottom of your block to at least 1200 grit. Then slice of a piece off each end of the block - accuracy important here - no wobbly cuts. - mark all three pieces they will have to go back together.
6 - Now slice the block length ways - ie to make the top and bottom of the case.
7 - Rout the insides to depth and finish.
8 - Take the lid and sand the hinge side to oval profile - to enable opening the lid later.
9 - Take the lid and drill each end back top - I use a cut off welding rod to inset in each hole, slightly sharpened, face up each end piece to cut earlier, watching the grains, the will be oversize, no matter at present, the marks left in end blocks you drill out, then glue and clamp, all leaving the lid slightly ajar, otherwise all will be stuck together!
10 - Later test opening and shutting making any minor ajustments - have an old blade available, to prise open the box because it should be tight and almost snap shut with an audible click.
11 - Phew! - I told it was long winded.
12 - Now with the box shut use a bench sander to bring the proud end down to the lid and the base - I rough at 240 grit, then use a well worn 600 grit.
13 - Open the lid and take out a little hollow from the bottom, to enable your fingers to get a grip on opening the box.
14 - Now the whole outside should be hand sanded up to 1200 or more grit.
15 - I then coat with proprietory brand Patina - 6 coats, 4 hrs between each coat.
16 - When dry place your pen/s inside the right way round!! - and enjoy!!

I you want anymore detail let me know - phew!

Mike

Chuck C

Thanks for the additional information. I have to give that one a try. Always thought that a case with the same wood as the pens would look real nice. You proved that 100 fold. Again thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom