Wild Muscadine Vine - Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Made a post about how I got some cool wood from a friends house the other day and didn't have any pics till now. So no more "no pics, didn't happen" Went ahead and drilled out a piece that wasn't cracked and made a sierra outta it to see what it would look like. The grain pattern is really cool. It has a feather look to it. The vine I got was about 6ft long and I cut some 5 1/2" blanks that I might try casting to fill in the cracks. CA finish that's MM to 12000 and polished with PlastX. Comments always welcomed!

Attachments

• 100_9221.jpg
    100_9221.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_9223.jpg
    100_9223.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 100_9237.jpg
    100_9237.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_9242.jpg
    100_9242.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 413
  • 100_9246.jpg
    100_9246.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 447
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

CAST, CAST, CAST!! You will have some beautiful pens out of it, since I have started casting I find solid blanks boring. I look for cracked wood, worm holes and knots, any thing that will take some resin. I am looking at the pieces in your photo and thinking Blue pearl. Good Luck with it.

hewunch

Very nice and I agree with Max, cast away!

(just don't sell them to Woodcraft:biggrin:)

LOL! :cool:

Pen looks great, but I agree if it had some resin it would look better. Let me know if you want me to help you turn a piece :biggrin:

robutacion

Great looking stuff, pen and vines...!

Interesting that most vines have this look of paper-bark, the "wood" is formed of layers upon layers of these strips of material that forms to vine body...!:eek:
Your last pic is a good demonstration of this, both pen and vine positions, very nice...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: I agree, casting has given the whole pen blanks and wood world, a total different life and meaning/possibities, huh...???:)

Cheers
George

Brooks803

Very nice and I agree with Max, cast away!

(just don't sell them to Woodcraft:biggrin:)

LOL! :cool:

Pen looks great, but I agree if it had some resin it would look better. Let me know if you want me to help you turn a piece :biggrin:

woodcraft would be hard pressed to get anything from me, i'd rather buy and sell to members here and locally. Hans...don't you still have the very FIRST blank I ever cast that I gave you sitting on a shelf somewhere??? :tongue: j/k, ya know your my official blank tester.

Top Bottom