Wild Horse Jasper TruStone Sceptre

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brookswife803

brookswife803

As a board member of a local horse organization, I am required to bring an item to auction off at our end of the year awards banquet. I couldn't find anything to buy that I thought was high end enough for the banquet and still reasonable to me so I of course thought about making a pen. I didn't want to do just any pen however as this IS my organizations big event and the silent auction money really keeps us able to provide scholarships for up and coming riders as well as clinics etc. I decided to turn some wild horse jasper trustone I purchased recently and match it with the Sceptre. I'm really happy with the outcome and I hope the other members bid high for it. This is my first trustone and my first sceptre and I really like the combination! :)

Attachments

• 100_4541.jpg
    100_4541.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 100_4506.jpg
    100_4506.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 100_4547.jpg
    100_4547.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 246
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

I like it! I have a piece of this also, and was trying to decide on what kit to put it on -- I like it with the rhodium/gold combo.

How hard was this to turn -- I've only turned the black/gold trustone before, and it was the hardest material I've turned yet -- sharp tools, but very small/fine cuts.

Karin Voorhis

I would say you did a great job there. I am going to bet that goes well and will start a bidding war for sure! Good luck with the auction please let us know ho it goes.

Thanks You might be giving me the kick I need to try some true stone.

hewunch

Great work Shea! Now remind everyone which # pen this is for you. Honestly I am so jealous that there is so much artistic ability in one couple. I tell you it is just not fair!

RAdams

Banned
WOWZA! Your pen makes me glad I just bought two pieces of this material! Your pen should bring a nice bid!

brookswife803

Well I don't know how much the pen sold for. The sheets for the silent auction were gathered up before I could see what the final bid was. Sorry guys. I'll try to find out what it went for though at the next meeting when I can talk with the Treasurer. :)

Hans you are too kind. This was probably the 8th pen maybe 9th. Not sure. Its the only one I've done since the Pink one for my friend Val. I really like this kit and may stick with it for my nicer blanks though I've got some ideas for some closed end pens and really would like to use something not near as expensive for my first ones. :) I'm probably going to make another Sceptre for my mother using another Trustone and I'll show you all on here what it looks like. :)

I don't know that I'll ever get to the point where I want to make pens to sell as I enjoy turning specific pens for friends and family and seeing them light up when they get them (though they may soon get tired of pens as gifts) :) I worry that if I start making them as a business the fun will go away and it will be a job instead of a relaxing hobby. What are your experiences?

Jonathon I think would do well with making pens as a business though and maybe I could just slip a few of mine into his collection when I feel like selling them. :)

Rick_G

Can't say as I blame you for wanting to keep it as a hobby. I know I had amateur radio and electronics as a hobby for years then I started working in electronics. All of a sudden it wasn't fun any more. I give a lot of my pens to the young girls at church. The ones just starting high school love them. The next highest give aways go to our military men and women. Here we put a letter of support wrapped around each pen I don't always get a reply but the ones I do show really show the appreciation for the gift and support. Me I'm retired and don't want another job so it will stay a hobby.

You may not want to know what it went for. I donated a baron and a El Grande rollerball to a school silent auction a year ago and they went for less that what it cost me to build them. Of course I live in a small town of 900 mostly retired farmers and such and the few that do have money are cheaper than Jack Benny purports to be in his shows.:frown:

Top Bottom