Wild Bocote Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
In my very long and frustrating quest to get a better CA finish, I think I might be getting there, albiet slowly.
A piece of Wild Bocote on a Ti Gold Baron. I like it:biggrin:

Attachments

• Boc1.jpg
    Boc1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 416
  • Boc2.jpg
    Boc2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 293
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
In my very long and frustrating quest to get a better CA finish, I think I might be getting there, albiet slowly.
A piece of Wild Bocote on a Ti Gold Baron. I like it:biggrin:
That looks horrible, please send it to me for a proper evaluation. :biggrin:
I promise to return it, really, I will, honest. :wink: Seriously, your worst pen dominates my best. GREAT WORK.

philb

Looks good to me Steve!

Think you've been having lessons from Mark Ligget! Also bocote the perfect choice for trying a finish out on, as it always takes a very nice gloss! One if my favourites to use for fountain pens as the grain is always so unpredictable!

Phil

Marc Phillips

Great finish

Finish and pen look great!

I am on the same quest... my finish looks good, but want it to look better!

I am thinking maybe plastic polish.... maybe...

OKLAHOMAN

OK mister:mad: what the hell did you do with our Skippy, we all know your an impostor:cool:, posting a............:confused: component pen in ..............OMG:eek: wood.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
That is one really exceptionally gorgeous KIT PEN made with WOOD. My comments to the turner who made it. The finish is exceptionally well done.

Now, just to get your name on Santa's GOOD list, don't you have something to say, SkipRAT?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, many thanks for the comments.:biggrin:

I've got tons of really nice chunks of wood but I've never had the patience to get a neat finish. I don't have any fixed regime yet, I just keep going till it looks ok. I'll be happy once I can get some consitancy.:biggrin:

Len Shreck

That's a really nice pen and the wood looks great. I take it from the other posts that you don't usually turn pens from wood or even from pen kits? You said wild Bocote is there Bocote that isn't wild? Or are you referring to the grain pattern as being wild? Just trying to learn.
Len

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know how you did it! I know! You put some clear aluminum around it and turned it on your metal lathe! :biggrin:

Did you by any chance go over to Mark's (Ligget) and get him to do it? :rolleyes: Just kidding! Beautiful work. I am not partial to Bocote in general but that makes me like it!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Len, yep I normally just do the plastic stuff and a kitless pen now and then. The Bocote wood said 'Wild Bocote' ( written on it ) and I assume they referred to the grain pattern. :confused: The few times I've used Bocote before, the grain was much less 'Wild'. I dunno if it is a different tree or just a different part of it.

Lee, you are very close but a bit unfair on Mark. I've seen Marks 'scrap box' and the finish on those is what I'm still aiming for!!!:eek:. I have visited him a few times and he did show me a trick or too, but I'm still practicing what I learned from him.

Thanks again:wink:

Len Shreck

Thanks Skiprat I kinda figured that that's what it meant was the grain. I was kinda pocking fun, I was going to ask if you had some Bocote in a cage and that this was not in the cage hence the "WILD" but I figured I am not known well enough to start joking around just yet. I am trying to get the CA finish down myself, the first time I tried it I ended up with the rag glued and wrapped all the way around the pen but it didnt take me long to figure out what I did wrong with that. The pen I put pics of on here I put a coat of CA on it and then did 5 coats of Hut High Gloss but I want to try different finishes to see what they all look like first hand and decide which one I like best and learn how to apply all of them. Thanks again for getting back to me on that post.
Len

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I am trying to get the CA finish down myself, the first time I tried it I ended up with the rag glued and wrapped all the way around the pen

Ah yes. We call that "Penturner's Air Conditioning" :tongue:

3000 RPM can really cool you off on a hot day..

Top Bottom