Whose Work Is This?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bgray

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgray

This is a photo that I copied off the site a while back.

Whoever this photo belongs to, I would like to ask their permission to post it on my website as an example of what is possible with laser engraving.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgray

yeah, I thought so...I thought that I recognized his background and photo work.

Appreciate it...I'll email him.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Brian,

I just went through your album. You do good work. Why not have one of your pens engraved and displayed on your site? That way you don't have to explain that the pen displayed is not yours.

Just a thought,

bgray

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Brian,

I just went through your album. You do good work. Why not have one of your pens engraved and displayed on your site? That way you don't have to explain that the pen displayed is not yours.

Just a thought,

I'm going to, but my engraving will just be my simple logo. Kaspar's pen shows how amazingly intricate the laser process can be.

Thanks.

Dario

Brian,

I personally feel that is not a good practice to use someone else work, even if you were granted permission by the maker and you acknowledge it.

I also don't like putting any person (in this case Kaspar) in a possible awkward position to turn your request down.

This is just my opinion.

JimGo

Brian,
I'll chime in too...I agree with Cav and Dario. I'm sure you can get an equally impressive image for lasering (in fact, Ken has quite a few "stock" images, IIRC), so why not use your own pen? If you're worried about cost, do a 10K Jr. Gent, Baron, or Sierra kit, or even a cigar pen. I _think_ Ken charges less than $10 per pen, even for some of the more intricate work, but even at $15, with a cigar or inexpensive Baron/Jr. Gent, you'd only have about $20-25 into the pen, especially if you use an inexpensive, domestic plain grained wood like Maple. For this relatively minimal outlay, you obviate the need to use someone else's work, AND have a pen that you can actually give to potential customers to see.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Brian,

Not to pile on, but if you have to explain that the pen displayed is not yours, you leave open the inference that you cannot do work like that. For that reason, I feel you would be best served to display your own work on your site. Frankly, if I were Kaspar, I would want a link to my site displayed with the pen on your site.

bgray

Well, good advise from all...I'll retract the request.

I guess that in my mind, I was showcasing the laser's possibilities, and nothing else. I am indeed sending off my own pens for laser work, I just thought I'd keep those simple.

Thanks.

Kaspar

Sorry, I just saw this.

I don't mind you using it with proper attribution, and yeah, a link to my own site would only be fair. But really, Ken Kallenshaan did the actual laser engraving, so that makes attribution even more complicated.

And, yeah, it would be best if you had your own stuff up there.

JimGo

Brian,
I'm not a fan of engraving, in general (no offense Ken!), and none of my personal pens are engraved. However, I do have one pen - it's gaudy beyond belief - that is engraved with my business' name in four or five different configurations. I make sure customers know it's to demo the engraving, and not really meant to showcase the pen itself (though the craftsmanship is still top notch - I made it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom