Who's pen is whos...Intermediate Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Justturnin

Justturnin

I will go first.
Gator Jaw (a 1st) with Copper Filing packing in the tooth sockets cast in black PR.
I am very happy with this pen, I knew I would not win but pushed myself to try something I have been a bit intimidated by, the Jaw.

I packed the teeth with Copper Filings mixed with Epoxy prior to casting, a 1st to fill a void w/ anything not CA.
The Pen is a Long Click, another first which was tricky to get it as straight as I did and to drill. I actually turned it down 2 times because I would take it in the house and just look at it and find errors to fix.

I built up the CA and sanded back to the bone to make sure the Bone voids the PR could not get to were filled.

I finish turned down the .15mm below the bushing and built back to .2 over. Sanded back even w/ the fittings leaving a .15mm coat of CA over it. MM to 12k, Huts Ultra Gloss, white compound to polish.

So which pen is yours and how to you step out of your box to bring it to life?

Int-1.jpg

Int-2.jpg

Int-3.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Here is my intermediate looser. I was actually getting ready to post it to another thread when yours popped up.

This is water oak burl worthless wood that was cast in a black and silver resin by Chris (Justturnin) I paired it up with a black chrome Panache kit, CA finished and polished up.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Attachments

• Entry #5a.jpg
    Entry #5a.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Entry #5b.jpg
    Entry #5b.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 107
  • Entry # 5c.jpg
    Entry # 5c.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Justturnin

Here is my intermediate looser. I was actually getting ready to post it to another thread when yours popped up.

This is water oak burl worthless wood that was cast in a black and silver resin by Chris (Justturnin) I paired it up with a black chrome Panache kit, CA finished and polished up.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Carl,
That pen came out amazing.

Carl Fisher

Much appreciated.

Your long click was a great way to show off that length of jaw bone by the way. Much nicer than chopping it into an upper/lower/cap setup or a shorter blank. Very nice job on the pen overall.

G1Pens

There were so many awesome pens. Its a shame only three could win. Personally, I would like to see a vote from the top five or six instead of just three next year. So much is subjective.

eldee

There were so many awesome pens. Its a shame only three could win. Personally, I would like to see a vote from the top five or six instead of just three next year. So much is subjective.

Definitely some good work here. I haven't seen any losers.

PSU1980

This was my entry. It didn't make the finals but I tried something I hadn't done yet, the random segmenting. I'm just glad that I wasn't one of the judges that had to pick the finalists. I thought every pen could have been in the finals. It took me almost all day to make the blank. Cutting and gluing and gluing and gluing and gluing. I used Oak, Padack, Sassafras, Cedar, Walnut and Cherry wood and Mahogany and Maple veneer. The kit was a Baron. MM to 12k, 20 coats of CA, Novus heavy and light.

Thanks for looking and any comments good or bad appreciated.

Tim

PSU1980

LOL. When I do upload photos, I upload the wrong ones. Just like a bad day in the shop, its time to stop and try later. Hmmmmmm....... maybe I should have entered the bulldozer.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
While it does not really matter I guess, I sure would have appreciated everyone reading the rules and adhering to them for more than a few hours.

"3 - Do NOT post a photo of your entry ANYWHERE until the contest winners have been announced."

philb

I assumed seen as none of the ones shown here are in contention, then it ws ok. And the Freestylers had started posting there, so all us Inters wanted to show off!!

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Apologies if I came across wrong. No worries on my end, it was just one of many frustrating things today. I was not as clear in the rules section as I should have been. I will release a listing as I had planned to do. I was just trying to keep the release of info to a minimum so as not to taint the voting results should those names get posted accidentally. :)

Last edited:

weasel1219

Here is my entry

Made an Atlas or Polaris depending where you get it from.
The wood is Cocobolo with a trace of sap wood. Finished
with Penturners finish and several coats of CA finish. I went
ahead and submitted my pen, guess I was the second one in the
pot, and then when I went back an looked at all the other ones that
entered, I said no way this baby is going to make it. But it was fun
entering and can't wait till next time. I am honing my skills and I will
be entering more than one level.

Top Bottom