Whitetail antler cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rcarman

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarman

This is my first antler cigar. It is an Eastern Whitetail drop and was very porous in the center. The porosity filled ok with the CA/BLO finish but left some dark spots. I assume that is normal but I have not done any others for comparison. Your comments are welcome, thanks for looking.

1436_Antler%20Cigar%2007-07%20Medium%20Web%20view1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Definately a handsome pen. Well done. Dark spots and variations in color or tone are normal. That's the beauty of antler, each is different and what you get is unknown until you are finished. When you cut through to marrow (porous part), use of CA is the lifesaver. Some rub antler dust from the turning into the pores. Matter of choice.

ahoiberg

good job bob. i think the dark spots occur frequently on antler pens... at least the ones i've seen. looks like a good finish although it's a little difficult to tell with the picture...

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Looks good, Bob. Each antler seems to have its own charm. As you noted, whitetail has a large marrow. Axis antler has almost no marrow. I was given some moose antler and it has no marrow at the tips. Moose and axis antler give a faux ivory appearance, IMHO.

BTW, yes, thin ca is a must with whitetail antler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom