White Oak with Copper Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

I had to hold off posting pictures of this since it was a PITH pen for the Carolinas meeting today. Now that it's safely in Tom's hands as the new owner, I figured I could get away with showing off the first knot I've been happy with so far.

White Oak wood and 2 sheets of copper laminated together to give it a nice detail line down the middle. I also left the copper with a brushed finish. It was polished initially but felt it looked much better brushed.

Attachments

• IMG_1404_Clean (Small).jpg
    IMG_1404_Clean (Small).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 5,968
  • IMG_1405_Clean (Small).jpg
    IMG_1405_Clean (Small).jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 6,121
  • IMG_1409_Clean (Small).jpg
    IMG_1409_Clean (Small).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

Beautiful pen! I've given up on knots for now. Just can't get the hang of them. That and it was 19 degrees this morning when I woke up. I'm back to veneering in the basement.

Still, beautiful pen.

SDB777

White oak is so often overlooked for other types of wood....but the word seems to be getting out that it's a better wood. And your showing this one will make folks go looking for it too! Nicely done!!

What angle was the 'knot' put into the blank at?

Scott (nice finish too) B

Carl Fisher

45-degree cut on the band saw. I just used my regular blank cutting sled with a piece of scrap cut to 45 to set the blank. After gluing the 2 sheets of copper it worked out to about a blade width and a half thick. I took the opposite approach and cut the slot to fit the inserts instead of trying to match the inserts to the slot.

Top Bottom