White DIW burl?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

Had some very punkey DIW that I think I got from Becca about a year ago and until we all started to impregnate with PR it just sat in my wood bin,glad I remembered I had it.All comments welcome,good,bad and also on the photographs. All voids filled with white pearl....

200831505834_3.jpg

200831505938_2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
That's really interesting. I like the sharp contrast. I've got a bunch of DIW here that I'm going to cast, but being so hard, did you have any trouble with uneven sanding between the PR and the wood?

Excellent looking pen, but I'm a sucker for worth-pregnated blanks! [:p]:D

gerryr

Geez, there's hardly any wood in there![:0] I'm not sure I care for the look but I'm sure someone will. The only thing I can see that sort of bothers me is at the end cap. It looks like the blank just sort of "dives" down to meet the trim ring. I would prefer to see a nice taper down to the trim ring. It also looks to be very slightly under-turned at the end cap, but that could be the picture.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Roy, the photo is nice, as would be expected of you. The combination of DIW and white just does not do anything for me. I admire the technique of casting and plan to eventually learn it.

karlkuehn

Banned
I've been thinking and thinking since I first saw your color scheme, trying to remember where I've seen it before. It just dawned on me what it reminds me of. There's a Bev Doolittle painting called 'Pintos' that has that same color contrast. Pretty neat!

BevDoolittle.jpg

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by karlkuehn

I've been thinking and thinking since I first saw your color scheme, trying to remember where I've seen it before. It just dawned on me what it reminds me of. There's a Bev Doolittle painting called 'Pintos' that has that same color contrast. Pretty neat!

BevDoolittle.jpg

Started your weekend drinking a bit early Karl? ;);)

OKLAHOMAN

I thank all who reply especially those who give honest opinions both good and bad.I agree with Gerry on the lack of wood but not on the contrast,that being said doesn't make either one of us right or wrong as we all have different taste.As to the remark on the end cap thanks again,it made me look at the pen closer,its not under-turned must be the photo but it "dives" the last 1/8 inch,my bad:(.Both Jim and Cav keep giving honest opinions,it will make us all better pen turners.Karl thanks for the new name "Pinto blanks":D.
Originally posted by gerryr

Geez, there's hardly any wood in there![:0] I'm not sure I care for the look but I'm sure someone will. The only thing I can see that sort of bothers me is at the end cap. It looks like the blank just sort of "dives" down to meet the trim ring. I would prefer to see a nice taper down to the trim ring. It also looks to be very slightly under-turned at the end cap, but that could be the picture.

R2

I really like that pen. Its stands out as different,apart from being well made!!:):):)[^]
Karl I had a thought much like yours. When I was a kid I loved the American "Paint Ponies" and that is the first thought I had when I saw the pen.[:p][:p]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Roy, I think it looks pretty cool too. :D I think that because there are several shades of brown in the DIW, that the white was a good choice. If the wood was plain, then a more colourful PR would probably have been needed. It's also great to see the way the comments have been made and received. Makes a refreshing change to 'NPGJ' ;)

J

jackrichington

I concur with the A+ rating..it is gorgeous and you did a fine job casting..I too thought of Bev Doolittle when I saw it...It is so hard to comment on a picture on the internet..so much we really can't see well...

Gary Max

Roy I have given this some thought------Yup it will sale--people buy items that get noticed --a Attention Getter if you will. So at the end of the day--Yup that works for me.

rdunn12

I like it,looks pretty dang cool to me.I like the contrast.It might look better with more wood than resin,but hey who am I.Just my opinion.

kennicka

I think you made a great save with that blank. I really like the contrast. I agree that it looks like the Bev Doolittle painting referenced above. LOML agreed as well. There you have it! Very Cool!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
SPFJ!!!

In the light of trying to be more critical, I am inventing "Sucky pen, Fine job!!" This is the first example. I LOVE Desert Ironwood, everyone knows "resin" is my middle name "Resinator--in full". But, putting one with the other just doesn't do it for me.

This particular combination is "centerbanded" just where the pattern makes a severe change, making it appear that you did not line up the pattern correctly. I don't think this is the case, but the "prospect" will not see the "fluid transition" that is expected.

Having said all these terrible things, I DO like the idea of calling it pinto and I believe you WILL find a buyer rather quickly, cause technically, it looks like a FINE pen to me.

Good luck, we make pens to sell - I believe you will achieve your objective!:D:D:D

OKLAHOMAN

So Ed are we saying SPFJOPP "Sucky Pen Fine Job On Pinto Pen"?:D

I think I know what your saying and do appriciate your feedback and I also think it will sell rather quickly as some people are drawn to bling and this has that blink factor.I also see the "centerbanded" where the transition from top to barrel occur,had I started one more thread to the left it would have lined up better,I need to look before snapping the photo[V]
Originally posted by ed4copies

SPFJ!!!

In the light of trying to be more critical, I am inventing "Sucky pen, Fine job!!" This is the first example. I LOVE Desert Ironwood, everyone knows "resin" is my middle name "Resinator--in full". But, putting one with the other just doesn't do it for me.

This particular combination is "centerbanded" just where the pattern makes a severe change, making it appear that you did not line up the pattern correctly. I don't think this is the case, but the "prospect" will not see the "fluid transition" that is expected.

Having said all these terrible things, I DO like the idea of calling it pinto and I believe you WILL find a buyer rather quickly, cause technically, it looks like a FINE pen to me.

Good luck, we make pens to sell - I believe you will achieve your objective!:D:D:D

Jarheaded

I like the pen, it seems to make a bold statement with the pearl white contrast. But the blank may have been better on a different kit. I don't think that you will have any problems selling it. But I also want to know if you had any problem sanding the hard ironwood and the much softer PR. Overall it looks like a winner to me.

bitshird

I like the color combination, I don't think I would like to turn the blank, but it is an attention grabber and that usually means a quick sale.

VisExp

I like the blank. It reminded me of light snow on a mountainous terrain. Let me rephrase that as I've only ever seen snow three times in my life! It reminds me of what I think light snow on a mountainous terrain would look like! :D

Top Bottom