White Alabaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

This is my second attempt at this pen---I am still getting the fine crack lines----The pen is solid but is far from being what I want.
I tried over drilling the blanks and filling the hole with white epoxy. The next thing I am going to try is sanding the inside of the tubes out. This is still a saleable pen.

20071229233556_whiteone.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Turning this stone is fine once you mess with it a little.
I turn the RPM's up and remove a very small amout of stone.
All I am cutting is a very fine powder---once I get the blank round I use a skew to finish turning the stone. It's not bad to work with I just keep cracking the blank after it's turned. Oh it also makes a heavy pen---which some folks really like.

doddman70

Gary looks good i have been wanting to try alabaster for quite awhile. aren't the cracks just part of the characteristic of the stone ? or is it caused by the turning. either way i thin it ads some character to it. where do you get your blanks from i am going to have to give it a try

Shane[:D]

Gary Max

Shane that's the story I was telling myself. But they just keep growing in numbers as I built the pen. You will not find anything that is whiter than this stuff---even Ivory.
The first one I made sold for $75.00 and I told the guy the truth about the pen.
Oh I bought three of these blanks---hopefully I get better at it--LOL
What I am really looking for is a $200.00 pen

OKLAHOMAN

Gary, great look in the alabaster, I've turned a few and sold them all but 2 so far. All were sold with disclaimers: This is soft rock and the cracks are natural,if you drop it it most likely will crack more and could break and they were bought anyway. I seem to get less cracking at the nib and the final if I press both at the same time.
Here is a pcture of one I still have.

200712300255_1.jpg
<br />

doddman70

so how about finish do you put anything on it or just polish with micro mesh? also what about filling the cracks with thin ca would that help at all?
also where did you get your blanks from.

Shane

dfurlano

You're better off sanding the press fit areas down and gluing them inside the tube. The reason you get cracks is the expansion of the brass when you press fit the ends in place.

Gary Max

That's why I tried over drilling the blanks and back filling with white epoxy---of course that was not enough---I am going to try your thought next---I have three of these in the works. I am even thinking about epoxying the parts in place. I am doing this while working on several other things at the same time.

rhahnfl

Gary... call this crazy... what if you gently heated one piece and cooled/froze the other before pressing? I know from buying some alabaster in Italy that is indeed a very fragile medium. Just a thought.

arioux

Hi,

Great pen. I always tough that cracks where part of the alabaster look. Either sculpture or vase made of it always show those cracks. I personnally think that they add to the beauty of the peice.

Alfred

thewishman

I understand that some people turning alabaster soak it in watered-down wood glue to help seal the cracks. It still cracks, but the glue reduces the severity of the cracks.

Chris

Gary Max

I tried CA----heck it will not soak in---just sits on the surface. They are no longer called cracks but have been promoted to stress lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom