White Alabaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKLAHOMAN

These blanks I recived from randbcrafts (Richard) a few days ago along with tru-stone. White Italain alabaster. They are translucent and the tubes HAVE to be painted but thats what really makes it pop.
The first is a Jr. Statesman useing CSUSA's new black tubes and the second is a Sierra and I painted the tubes and inside ther blank bright blue. I just wish that my Photography skills were better.

2007823219_DSCF00091.jpg

20078232213_DSCF00101.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTJeff

Great looking pens. I've been following that thread and was wondering what they looked like on real pens. Fabulous!

What type of paint do you prefer, and do you scuff the tube before you paint?

OKLAHOMAN

Rustolum has a line of Metalic paints and also Krylon. I've used both on my cactus blanks and no I do not scuff the tubes I just make sure that the complete tube has a coat of epoxy.
Originally posted by PTJeff
<br />Great looking pens. I've been following that thread and was wondering what they looked like on real pens. Fabulous!

What type of paint do you prefer, and do you scuff the tube before you paint?

gerryr

Good looking pens, Roy. I'm assuming that is real Alabaster? How was it to drill and turn? How does the weight compare to an acrlic pen?

OKLAHOMAN

Gerry and Laurie, yes it is real Alabaster and the first surprise was when I drilled it. Having never drilled Alabaster before I drilled slowly removing the bit every 1/4 inch or so and the surprise was that it drilled very easy but did not have any shavings just very fine powder. As far as turning same results, no shavings just very fine powder, I used a round nose scraper and finished with a skew almost no need to sand but I wet sanded to 12000 MM more habit than nessasary and finished with Brasso,Plastic polish and a final coat of TSW. The weight is heavier than acrylic more like Tru-Stone.
Just found SWMBO food scale:
Alabaster Jr. Statesman 55 grams
Tru-Stone Jasper "" 55 grams
Amboyna Burl Jr. Statsman 35 grams
Neon Nights Acrylic " " 45 grams

randbcrafts

Roy, That was my first surprise too. It feels heavy like stone but it drills super easy. Oddly enough I found it a little hard to cut but it drilled and turned very easy. Did you have to use any CA to stabilize it? I used a little on mine to be safe but it may not have really needed it.

redfishsc

Very sweeeet indeed.

I have not had good results with rustoleum for painting tubes. I use the 30-min epoxy most of us use, and even when I let the rustoleum cure overnight, glue in with epoxy and cure another night, the bond is gummy. I have had two pens with loose tubes, once with blue and the other with white rustoleum.

Anyhow, lol, just be careful not to drop those pens, or shatter city!

I bet they would take a fantastic CA finish if you sealed them first with thin--- which BTW should also strengthen them from any potentially disastrous hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom