Whiskey-a-Go-Go

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

I plan on making several of these for an upcomming show.

Whiskey Barrel Blank from Gary Max, Trim band is jashton "bar room floor mystry wood" (Sorta a drinking theme here )

I love a pen with a good story..Modified Euro..Ca and Turners Magic finish

200842114856_whiskey1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Beautiful sheen on that finish, Harold! I love the center band, very tastefully done! I like that nib cone much better than the regular Euro ones, too. Wish they all had that little ridge. Very nice work! :)

splinter99

Chuck, Turners Magic is a 3 part lacquer friction polish..part one is a sanding sealer,part two is semi gloss and part 3 is high gloss..It seems to be much more durable than shelac based friction polishes..It is applied on the lathe with a soft cloth..you can recoat as often as you like..Some guys swear by it but I cant get a ca like shine from it.. I was after a softer shine on this wood so I put two coats of the gloss on over the ca finish, Then buffed with white diamond (Turners majic is available from William Woodwrite) (There is a lengthy discussion on it in the finishing section)

jskeen

Gotta love that centerband treatment, much classier than the big thick stock one. If you have time to talk, the story behind the wood will probably sell more pens than the wildest burl figure or color.

James

Ligget

Beautiful, I wondered what they looked like turned and finished I have a couple to do.
You made an excellent job on the fit and finish, the accent band looks perfect![:p]

splinter99

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. I will put a warning lable in the case to "Enjoy this pen in moderation and never write and drive"
Guts..that sounds great..just let me know when..

Top Bottom