Where's the wood ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Someone mentioned in the last group of pens I posted, Where's the wood ? Well I felt guilty and whipped a few up. :)
Something a little different on two of the pens, see if you eagle eyes can pick it out. Maybe harder just looking at the pic.

Amboyna, palm, cocobolo, buckeye burl, almost briarwood.

2006122955514_where_wood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

atvrules1

Very nice work Anthony. Little bit of change for you after all the fun you've had with making your blanks, but nice to see some wood ones. Fit and finish are great, and the buckeye is amazing. Congrats.

PenWorks

Originally posted by oobak
<br />Hey guys, its a trick to make you look at the pens for a while longer.....dont fall for it!

Yeh, that's an old trick, I thought I would catch some newbies with it [:D]

But what you where suppose to see is, and I can not capture it in a photo. The buckey was full of voids, so I coated it with silver bronzing powder and CA, then sanded it back and the wood looks like silver ore. Here is a better pic.

2006122915715_emp_buckeye.jpg
<br />

The other little difference and I can't capture that at all in a pic, I used two different finishing techniques on the palm, so the cap is actually darker than the body. The palm wood is really chatoyant and you can really see the difference by moving it around in the light.

Oh well, that's my story [:D]

gerryr

What's this "almost" briarwood? Did you sneak a plastic pen in on us here?[:D] Great looking pens. I would be hard pressed to choose.

Joe Melton

Nice pens, Anthony.
The Amboyna Burl looks like Snakewood. The Cocobolo looks like Desert Ironwood, and the upper barrel on this pen appears to be slightly shortened. Could be an optical illusion, though.
Thanks for showing these.
Joe

PenWorks

Good eye Joe, Bill's premium cocobolo always is fantastic [:)] The upper barrel appears to be shortened, but is the correct size. The others are just longer, they were made from regular Statesmen tubes instead of Emperor tubes.

PenWorks

Originally posted by csb333
<br />Have you ever made a bad pen?

Here are 3 bad ones, not to pretty to look at [:D]
It was for a birthday gift for someone who visits this site.
I must say, the one that made it, came out real nice [;)]

2006123044529_oopps.jpg
<br />

PenWorks

Originally posted by airrat
<br /> Wish I could fight the crowds and see you at the show.

That's what I'm hoping for Tom, big crowds..... no huge crowds [:D]
I put in some pretty hefty pen orders for this show.

gerryr

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />
Originally posted by csb333
<br />Have you ever made a bad pen?

Here are 3 bad ones, not to pretty to look at [:D]
It was for a birthday gift for someone who visits this site.
I must say, the one that made it, came out real nice [;)]

2006123044529_oopps.jpg
<br />
Anyone who wants to see the one that made it can see it here. It was a collaborative work between Anthony and Jim Lambert and Bill Jackman was the birthday boy. It is a great looking pen.
http://penmakersguild.com/browse.php?gallery=worksc&page=5

Now, about that "almost" briarwood.......

PenWorks

Thanks Gerry, here is the pen without the cap. I made the pen body & Jim Lambert made the cap. The pic Jim took of the pen looks pink to me. I had a hard time with it, as I had just moved into my new shop and couldn't really get organized and couldn't find alot of things. So after trying to make this on my small Legacy, (without much success) I went to the big Legacy and this was the first pen that came out of the new shop and the new Legacy 900, I think is has 7 start points on the twist, or maybe 5, can't remember. [:D]

20071123213_Bjackman.jpg
<br />

and about the almost briarwood, you need to ask Ed [:p]

Darley

Very nice Anthony, love the Buckeye but most of it the new Emperor kit, nice work

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Someone mentioned in the last group of pens I posted, Where's the wood ? Well I felt guilty and whipped a few up. [:)]
Something a little different on two of the pens, see if you eagle eyes can pick it out. Maybe harder just looking at the pic.

Amboyna, palm, cocobolo, buckeye burl, almost briarwood.

2006122955514_where_wood.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom