WHERE'S THE PINK???????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from smoky10

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky10

The kit is an Atlas kit from B.B. I liked the kit a lot. The wood is "pink Ivory" from another dealer. My question is, where's the pink? Is all pink ivory this shade of brown? I ordered Three blanks because I have never seen any before and to say I was disappointed in the color would be an understatement. I threw the other two blanks in a box in the corner.

200511915059_Pink%20Ivory.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Pink ivory will run anywhere from a bright pink on a AAA grade blank to a dull pinkish brown on a C grade blank... what you get depends on the dealer you buy from... I only buy pink ivory from Ryan at www.woodturningz.com ... I am not saying that other dealers will give you garbage, but Ryan imports pink ivory, I got my first pink ivory from him and it was fantastic, he tutored me in how to keep the color when sanding and finishing... I see no reason to go to another dealer...
This is just my 2 cents, I do not work or receive anything from Woodturningz for talking about them...

G

Don't feel bad,I was "given" 10 pink ivory blanks as an appeasement by the mangaer of a Woodcraft because a 3 hour round trip yielded me a broken lathe out of a sealed carton.
6 had no pink color whatsoever.
I have also had some that contained only streks of color.
Those were nice but not what I excpected.

opus

Tom,
You mentioned that Ryan told you how to keep the color during finishing, could you elaborate on that? I bought 10 blanks last week and turned one the other day, It came out beautiful, and the wife took it away for her own. Just want to make sure that the others I make have good color.
(I second that the Pink Ivory from Ryan is tops)

BogBean

"he tutored me in how to keep the color when sanding and finishing"

Tom,
Would you mind tell us what he told you?...Thanks...Chuck B

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
The biggest "secret" to keeping the color in pink ivory is similar to purpleheart... DO NOT allow excessive heat from sanding. Pink ivory is very heat sensitive.. not only will the color change, but in some instances the blanks will split from the heat... use a very light touch and do not run the lathe full out.. also DO NOT use steel wool on pink ivory...
I also wipe down the blank with a damp (not wet) paper towel of mineral spirits to remove the sanding dust from the previous grit.. also never ever use BLO on pink ivory it will give it an amber color... I also never use shellwax or any of the shellac based friction finishes.. these also will give a warmer, slightly amber effect tot he finished pen...
If you do not like CA, then use any other clear finish, like lacquer. Thin deft lacquer by 1/3 and use a paper towel to apply... it should dry fairly quickly, but because it is thinned you will need a couple of coats to get a good thicknes... then let it dry for at least 3 days and buff it out to a high gloss.. I rarely use lacquer, because I hate waiting for it to cure before buffing it out... but it does make a great finish.

BogBean

Tom,
Thank you very much for your post. I still have a lot to learn. I sure am glad I found IAP....Chuck B

Gary Max

Tom I have heard the same thing from others about Pink Ivory.
I ain't going to give it a try---just to many woods out there that look great.

Gregory Huey

Pink Ivory dose not put a thump in my heart but a lot of ladts like it. Must be that pink thing. I only buy pieces that I can see or Know the seller. Kind of a lot of money for such a plain wood so color is everything.

jkirkb94

My local Woodcraft store had some Redheart that was as pink as some of the pink ivory that I have. I bought a small batch of the redheart for just that reason. Kirk[8D] The top is actually redheart and the bottom is pink ivory.

200512116017_wood.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom