When you don't measure twice and cut once

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bpgoldo

bpgoldo

I was very excited about opening the mystery of a resin-fil stabilized palm root blank that came from....yeah, I know I sound like a cheerleader....our buddy George and his Timber Bit factory down under. Well OK, cheerleader it is then, but some of his stuff is total bonzer! ! ! ( Oz speak for coooool...I think) I love the organics hidden within the palm root. The shape and flow and scale and detail is so well suited for a hand held piece of art. I used a blue tint blank and set it up for a Pen State "Phoenix" pen kit. And...in trying to eliminate a "flaw" in the piece, I cut it too short. Wasted...OOOOOH NOOOO. So I built up a series of bands for the tip, glued it up and hoped for the best. And the result after turning, looks to me to be, not too bad. I am finding with bands, whether in the pen body or at the ends, that thinner and finer cuts of material, perhaps in repeating sections separated by a metallic accent, not only saves the blank, but adds to the overall design. So whatcha guys think? Band it, or toss it out and start from scratch? Your thoughts are most welcome.

Attachments

• FIREBIRD-NEPTUNES HAND 2 - 92.1kb.jpg
    FIREBIRD-NEPTUNES HAND 2 - 92.1kb.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 373
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I like the band's on the bottom. The top ones with pick guard...not so much. But, nice save. If you like the result well then, that is what matters.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

bpgoldo

Actually, I agree with Don. If I had a do over, the heavy band on top with the pick guard surrounds would be left out. l did it for a reason, but the reason didn't work out with the finished barrel. To me it's too heavy and knocks the visual balance off. Good call.

robutacion

I was very excited about opening the mystery of a resin-fil stabilized palm root blank that came from....yeah, I know I sound like a cheerleader....our buddy George and his Timber Bit factory down under. Well OK, cheerleader it is then, but some of his stuff is total bonzer! ! ! ( Oz speak for coooool...I think) I love the organics hidden within the palm root. The shape and flow and scale and detail is so well suited for a hand held piece of art. I used a blue tint blank and set it up for a Pen State "Phoenix" pen kit. And...in trying to eliminate a "flaw" in the piece, I cut it too short. Wasted...OOOOOH NOOOO. So I built up a series of bands for the tip, glued it up and hoped for the best. And the result after turning, looks to me to be, not too bad. I am finding with bands, whether in the pen body or at the ends, that thinner and finer cuts of material, perhaps in repeating sections separated by a metallic accent, not only saves the blank, but adds to the overall design. So whatcha guys think? Band it, or toss it out and start from scratch? Your thoughts are most welcome.

Well, you know, any blank maker would hope ALL his/hers blanks would fall into someone with great skill and imagination to work their magic and produce something that is beyond what the blank and blank maker envisage, most of my blanks are capable of producing unique results mostly because, I use many unique materials and techniques that while considered by some, "difficult" to work with, doesn't deter them from getting the courage to give it a go.

However, with you, I never know what you are going to "do" with any of my blanks, regardless of what they are and that is one of the reasons why I sent you some "crazy" blanks to see what you will do with them and always, be excited to see the results.

With this said, I should mention my admiration to anyone that uses my blanks as they are and produce the results I envisage when I created them, there have been many IAP members that have created exceptional pens using some of my made blanks so, I never get tired to see any pens made using them.

As for this pen, and knowing your style, I would not have though that, any of the bands was due to a mistake, they both look OK to me and your finish is superb...!

Cheerleader...??? I think not, mentioning the blanks suppliers you use and are happy with, means that, you show some respect and consideration to those people, regardless if me or anyone else, we vendors appreciate that...!

Cheers
George

bpgoldo

Tom, I couldn't agree more. My most constant artistic muse is named "Oooops". The best feeling after finishing a project that didn't "cooperate" is one of "Happy Surprise". When I'm feeing that confidence, I try to avoid quoting Pee Wee Herman by saying proudly, "I meant to do that".

Top Bottom