When I cant sleep

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I woke up late last night and had a hard time going back to sleep, So I got up and turned this. I found a nice piece of zebrawood and paired it with a chrome trimline. I finish with WTF. All C&C are welcome

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonC

Good looking pen! I've kind of done what both you and Mark do tonight.

2 am here. Had nightmares when I finally went to sleep the night of the 1st/morning of the 2nd so I'm not eager to go to sleep tonight. Epoxied a reverse-painted blank/tube together and cleaned/organized a bit.

Now I'm searching the forums, reading up, and admiring work others have done.

I like the contrasting kit/blank.:)

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you Mark and Jason for your comments. Jason sorry to hear about your nightmares, but I look forward to the pen.

BSea

Doesn't everybody do that when they can't sleep?:rolleyes:

My wife has come out in the garage at 4am, and sees me working on a pen. Doesn't say a word, looks at me like I'm some stranger, rolls her eyes & goes back to bed. To this day I don't know what she wanted.:confused:

Oh yeah! Nice pen. I'm really liking 7mm pens again.

Last edited:

mchech

I almost went down to the shop myself last night about 3 am. Problem is the lathe is right under the bedroom and the dust collection is right under her head. No use kicking a sleeping bear. I've been sort of politicing for a bigger lathe so I just closed my eyes and counted burl blanks till I finally fell to sleep.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Bob, Mike C and Mike for your comments, I'm glad I have a shop away from the house. Mike if I do start to sleep walk no one will ever know.:biggrin:

Big

I go to bed thinking about this craft, dream about it, and wake up thinking about as I get even more excited. I love seeing and reading about everything that you folks are doing and have learned so much that is is amazing. Can't wait to get my equipment and start turning on my own.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Michael, you find it's a lot of fun, nerve racking, really satisfying to put those thoughts and dreams in to a finished pen. We look forward to your first pen.

cestmoi

Dan, I'm still thinking about that dyed apple wood pen you made. Maybe when I do my nightly routine and wake up for no apparent reason around midnight and 3:30 a.m., I can give some more thought to attempting to dye some blanks. Great job on the zebrawood pen.

robutacion

Yeah, that is really a clean looking pen, nicely done, Dan...!

I'm not going to speak about my sleeping problems and what I sometimes do late or in the middle of the night when the brain doesn't want to sleep however, this thread reminds me of a well respected members of this community that regularly show us his works of either, late nights or very early mornings.

I'm not a early morning person, never been, I don't "function" too well early in the morning, I often go to bed when the wife is in her second sleep, my most alert times are between 10:00 pm and midnight, I would prefer not to be like that but, is just is...!:frown:

And big, your excitement and anxiety are quite normal when we find something new that makes us feel good, not so much a nice looking young partner, those can become quite expensive while pen turning that can always cost of a few bob, it ain't going to talk back and clean you up...!:eek::biggrin::wink:

mchech, if you are familiar with the term "dogs house", that will be where you will be sent to if your wife is disturbed in her sleep for mister so so being fiddling around in the work-shop, just bellow the bedroom, at those hours of the morning, for sure...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

I retired thinking I would be able to sleep in, but now I am in the shop sometimes for 4am. It is not attached to the house, but I mostly straighten up and clean the shop until I can run machines. I also had a board kick back on my tablesaw about 7 years ago at 3:30 in the morning. i thought I broke my forearm but it was fine after about 2 hours. I was hesitant to wake my bride of 33years fearing she may break the other arm. So now I just organize, and clean until around 8 AM.

I guess being retired I thinking about getting more shop time. my family thinks I am crazy..

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Ted, Leslie, George, Jim and John: Thanks you for such nice comments. Lislie just a reminder that I dyed the blank after I finished sanding. George there is nothing wrong with not being a morning person. Jim I'm sure that has to do with being up for work all those years. John I was wide awake since I had slept for about 2 hours, like you I don't use my power tools when I'm tired, in those cases I'd let Evelyn do the work.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you johncrain and BJohn for you comments. BJohn sorry but that does not count......unless of course you took a nap before then.

Top Bottom